Windscreen Wipers

Ben Powers

Right, here we go, having got hold of my Exmo yesterday, I am already stuck and fed up. The "30 minutes to swap the screens over" has run to 3 hours so far. Someone was a bit too rivet happy for my liking.

I've swapped the pointless, though very pretty, brooklands aero screens out for a windscreen proper. I've come to put the wipers on and I basically have no idea what I'm doing. The holes are in the bonnet for the wipers to fit to, and I've found where the wiper motor sits under the dash, but there is no obvious fixing point for the rest of the mechanism. The wipers will hold the mechanism in place, but this seems a bit of a bodge and will likely result in it scratching all the paint off the bonnet. Is a washer between bonnet and wiper the normal way this is handled? Or is the mechanism typically held underneath the bonnet so the wipers clear the bonnet?

Finally, do I have to have a squibber for the MOT? It would appear that, although I have all the bits, the squibber has never been fitted as there are no holes in the bonnet. I can live with wiping the screen every now and then when driving in the wet. And if I can get away without sorting it out I'd rather spend my time driving it...

Thanks in advance.

my exmo uses the mini system the wiper boxes are kept in place by two plastic spacers cut at an angle (one either side of scuttle) then a washer and the nut, my wiper blades are push on type.

hope that make sence. my motor was secured via a jubilee clip arond the brace under the scuttle.

It sounds like I have the mini system, with a brake-pipe-esque tube connecting gearboxs to motor. The motor should be secured with a jubilee clip, however it is currently bodged in place with some cable ties. I think I may have been a numpty and hadn;t taken the nut/washer/top plastic trim off and was just poking the top spline bit through. In my defence I am suffering with man flu, partly perhaps due to my inability to stop driving around in an inappropriate vehicle yesterday!

Thanks for your help chaps, should be a quick fix tomorrow morning!

Ben the washer jet was never refitted after the last owner had the car repainted - he stuck the aeros on and deleted the hole. Quick fix though with a drill!

The wiper motor has a U shape clamp/clip around it with a rubber sheath that goes against the motor body. Two bolts go through bulk head to mount it on passenger side under the dash - you should see the holes. The nut ends go in the engine bay- one which you can get at with extension and one which IIRC is impossible to get at due to servo blocking access. I ran with one bolt holding it.

Re: Aero screen mounting stalks - I left them on with the full screen in place. I always intended to replace the rivets that held the stems on as I wasn't overly confident about there ability to hold the screens on at 100 leptons plus......but they never came off!

You will need washer for MOT with screen fitted....so MOT with aeros fitted instead!

Yeah, I got a clear plastic bag of bits, almost everything for the washer/wipers, rear springs, screen and 2x wet weather covers. Certainly missing the washer motor bracket and hood tensioner. No cardboard box in sight. I'll give him a call.

Wipers now in and functioning, after getting them all set up backwards first (as a practice of course!). Took a guess on the wiring, appear to have got lucky. Washer kit can wait until strictly necessary, it is drivable once again and so I cant help but drive it.