New Radiator

Guest cwing79

Guest cwing79

Has anyone got some information and pictures on fitting the current supplied radiator from Robin Hood in a 2b wishbones, the thing is bloody huge!!! i know it goes in at an angle but how do i get it plumbed in? and secure? any help much appreciated boys and girls! :unsure:

Guest TerryBarry

Here's a pic of how it was done on the RH demo car on the stand at Detling.

You appear to need those two curved bits of steel pipe.

Of course this one hasn't got the wishbone chassis - so may not be of much good.

HTH

Terry

Guest daveg

I removed the strip of metal on the sides of the rad to give me more space to get the rad in as its a tight fit :rolleyes:

I also grinded away a small semi-circle from the steering rack support cross-member to allow room for the hose!

It has to fit at an angle and the fan fits in front with the fan turning the wrong way! (just reverse the wires :rolleyes:

No piccy but I could do one for loadsa money :D :lol: :p

Dave

I personally think that new rad looks an abortion! :( the inlet & outlet, on the wrong side of the rad, with those large radius'd pipes are beyond a joke! :unsure: I wouldn't have one on the car if it was mine. I would source an alternative that would fit correctly.

thought the rh fan was a sucker?

I was convinced that they originally were as well Steve, again these are barely up to the job, they will just about manage if right up to the radiator core, but I'm not a fan of them. (no ,that's not meant to be a pun!)

Guest cwing79

Ok then lads any idea's on what i should be getting i saw a new cortina one the other day would this fit better? how much modification would i have to do?

I've fitted a seat marbella rad on a wishbone 2b, sits upright at the front of the chassis.

not on the road yet so not been used in anger but seems to cope ok.

haven't fitted a heater so the system only has 10 pints of water in it and stood running on the drive for 30 mins in the hot manchester sun (23 degrees!) on monday with no ill effects.

I'm going to change the fan switch for a cooler one as the vauxhall one i used operates at 100 degrees- still well inside the norm range on a sierra dash.

either follow big jim's link to the rads page on the nw hoodie site, it's at the bottom of the page or pm or mail me for more info and all the photos.

steve

I'm with Big Jim on that new RH rad - what a bloody sight! Was that old Cortina rad so bad? Is overheating really such a problem with effective fans? I have been considering the Coolman rad advertised as a spare part in the RH brochure - weren't these initially supplied with the early 2Bs?

Any observations? :blink:

Guest bloke

cant comment on the coolman efficiency as me cars not been off me drive but have managed to fit rhe fan tight to rear of fan on 2003 2B+ so hopin itll work fine

Yes, the coolman rad is a good rad, but only if you have a decent fan fitted either up against it, or cowled in.

the seat marbella rad also looks the business, again with the fan correctly mounted.

I can't stress enough, it's all a matter of getting the airflow through the radiator.

I also recommend the Premier wiring (now at Demon Theieves as well) connector that goes into the top hose, for the switch. Which you can either get from Premier wiring (discounted if bought at the same time) or both the Ford & Vauxhall ones will fit. (22mm thread)