Mot Test And Speedo

Guest Dean Morledge

Guest Dean Morledge

Hi All,

Another quick question for any MOT testers out there....

My car has a digi dash fitted to it and all is working well except the speedo currently isn't calibrated to the correct speed when driving. I don't have a driveway big enough to drive along and set the speedo using a sat nav and don't have access to a rolling road without paying out a lot of money.

So does anyone know if the speedo has to be reading at least close to the actual speed for the MOT test or can I get away with an incorrect speed reading for the test and then set the speedo using local roads once we have passed the MOT?

If it has to be working then I will have to sort out some way of getting the car on a suitable road so I can calibrate it using the sat nav before taking for an MOT.

Many thanks

Dean

Hi All,

Another quick question for any MOT testers out there....

My car has a digi dash fitted to it and all is working well except the speedo currently isn't calibrated to the correct speed when driving. I don't have a driveway big enough to drive along and set the speedo using a sat nav and don't have access to a rolling road without paying out a lot of money.

So does anyone know if the speedo has to be reading at least close to the actual speed for the MOT test or can I get away with an incorrect speed reading for the test and then set the speedo using local roads once we have passed the MOT?

If it has to be working then I will have to sort out some way of getting the car on a suitable road so I can calibrate it using the sat nav before taking for an MOT.

Many thanks

Dean

im not a tester , but it does nt get tested on the mot anyway so you ll be ok

Guest Dean Morledge

Cheers ant.b

I have had a look at the MOT testing guide and couldn't see anything that says the speedo has to be accurate however it depends how you translate the rules.... The only one that I was 'concerned' about was point 2 of the reason for failure... its not inoperative it just doesn't read correctly

Method of Inspection

1. Check that a speedometer is fitted.

2. Check the condition of the speedometer.

3. Check that the speedometer can be illuminated.

Reason for Rejection

1. not fitted.

2. Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or

the dial glass broken or missing.

3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated

Guest Ian & Carole

The only time you might fall foul of no speedo is, and I will happily stand corrected, if your car can't fit in the brake rollers then the tester might want to go on the road with the "deceleromitor" spelling!! to get a brake reading,

Mark, Mark where are you Mark?? :help: :help:

The only time you might fall foul of no speedo is, and I will happily stand corrected, if your car can't fit in the brake rollers then the tester might want to go on the road with the "deceleromitor" spelling!! to get a brake reading,

Mark, Mark where are you Mark?? :help: :help:

Correct Ian :good: :good: oh and its "decelerometer" or a Tapley meter :acute:

Not a problem to a tester, just remember an MOT is a minimum standards test, there are items that we can happily pass that the old wooden tops could still give you a pink slip or serve a prohibition notice,

Guest Dean Morledge

So much for the MOT today! Came to the car today and it wont start. It appears that we are not getting any spark at all. So something we have done between Thursday and today to stop the spark working.

all we have done is tidying up the wires etc so we are hoping that its just something has been knocked loose, we hope!

the battle goes on.