Audi Q7 Bonnet Release Problems

Not my car but it's looking likely that I'm going to end up having a go at fixing it.

Having spoken to the owner, this is what has happened;

1) Bonnet release handle broke. i.e. the splines down the middle had all rounded over so when he pulled on the handle it didnt operate the mechanism.

2) New handle bought and fitted, however it didnt release the bonnet when pulled and so the owner just pulled harder and ended up breaking the entire handle mechanism (where the cable joins onto the cable)

3) Broken handle assembly taken off and a new assembly is due to arrive tomorrow, however with the assembly off, the owner tried pulling the release cable with a pair of plier to try and open the bonnet. No success and he said any more pulling force on the cable would end up doing damage or breaking the cable.

Obviously he realises that fitting the new handle assembly wont work and will just break again because clearly something is jammed at the bonnet release end.

I've told him to have a go tonight at pulling the release cable with the pliers and have someone bounce up and down on the bonnet (not literally but you know what mean) to see if that frees anything up.

Failing that I'm over to have a go at fixing it myself.

Has anyone any ideas or come across this before? Is it possible to release the bonnet by any other means other than the pull cable?

Guest MarkB

The release mech seizes easy on Q7's. as you have said smack the bonnet whilst someone pulls the release, once open treat to mechanism to a drink of wd40