Rear Springs

Guest daveg

Guest maltbyd

Hi Dave Ive used the rear springs on the rear because the front ones on the doner car where broken,its a bit stiff and Ill try it out ,if to hard I might get hold of a pair of front springs and try them

Guest piddy

Hi.

I used the rear springs.

I dont remember richard saying use the front springs.

I cant see how you could they are tappered on the end which wouldn't fit in the trailing arm.

Piddy.

Guest daveg

Piddy

Interesting point...but whichever spring we use one end will not match because we are using the strut bottom end for the top spring seat at the rear!

I'll go look at the wideo again :p

Dave

Guest no1carmaddad
:D I bought a more or less complete 2b which was fitted with a sierra setup at the back end.This was rubbish much too soft and the car bottomed out under hard accelleration.To over come the problem I bought coil over shocks from robinhood 215 pounds inc post.Hope this helps simon.

Guest daveg

<_< hmmmm

Some say springs too hard and others say too soft :unsure: :blink:

I am going to try the front springs and see what happens...I can try rears or new springs later.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bob dootson

I used the standard sierra rear springs on the standard (non rhe coilover) rear setup

they are ok but a bit soft, I read somewhere that someone used the rear springs from a sierra estate, as they are stiffer and progressive

hope this is useful

bob d

Guest daveg

Bob

I miss understood the video, Richard did say use the rears springs which is what I am using. If I don't like the ride I will change to coil overs...but I have a long way to go to finish my build :(

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Gretton

I'm undecided as to whether the rear springs should be used with or without the rubber spring cups.

Also, does anyone know if the SVA insist on some sort of bump or rebound stop? I thought they were a necessity to pass an MOT on a production car.

All suggestions welcome.

Paul.

Guest Andy Hamilton

I think from memory, I put the front springs in the back of my 2b. There was some reason why I didn't use the rears, and I can't for the life of me remember what that reason was. I thought Richard says to use the fronts anyway? Maybe you are right and I too have misunderstood. I think they will be so easy to change even when the build is finished, so I am going to leave mine as they are for now and see how it rides when I eventually get it finished :blink: !!

I might just start the engine in the next few weeks... I can't wait! No doubt it wont run judging by earlier posts about the EFi.....

Maybe then I can get my first run and try out the springs. I like the idea of the estate rears if the others are too soft. I think if I went coil overs all round, I'd invest in a set of AVO's or something like that. I have read other peoples comments that the RH rear coil overs are no better than the Sierra springs, don't know how true that is.

Hi Paul,

the requirement is that the springs are still firmly located with the rear suspension at full droop.

I had to make up a new top bracket for the standard Sierra shocker otherwise

the spring was loose. They checked this point carefully at SVA.

Bob.

I used the rear springs as per the video, when I cut the front struts there was an extra toung on them wich I cut above, this means they are now a bit short and so when I jack the car up with the diff the springs come loose!

Judjing by the last post (thanks Bob), I am going to have to weld some extention pipes to the top of the struts to get the extra lenkth!

There is another way you know....

I cut off 3" from the roll bar to fit the demon RHE coilovers....

which turned out to be:--

too long too soft (springs) no absorbtion (shocker) ......

So I reverted to standard rear springs & new std shockers, but now

the rollbar was too short.

I couldn't get same size tube, so I carefully ground off the spring seat

from the McP strut, which sat about 2/3 of the way along it, & re-welded it

about 1" from the end of the strut.

It also meant that the spring was loose at full droop, so I made up

new shocker top brackets which raised the upper eye, effectively shortening

the shocker & keeping the spring firmly in place at full droop.

Works a treat.

I'll post a pic on the YAHOO site later today.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/robin...case.yahoo.com/

Bob T.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bob dootson

I've seen a vindicator v8 sprint that uses the standard sierra rear suspension arms, but in place of the shockers are a pair of coil-overs,!

(see 'Which Kit' march 2003 page 35.....)

they are fixed in the same place as as the standard shocks at the bottom, dont know how they fix at the top, or what type/version they are, but will be having a good look around a few at the Newark show!

Bob D