Central Heating

Guest Ian & Carole

Guest Ian & Carole

Well my RHOCaR brain boxes completly none car related.

Central Heating turned right down on room thermostat, all downstairs radiators are, as you would expect, cold.

All the upstairs one are red hot!!

Pump is working as it always has. Nothing different there.

It is an old system with no seperate hot water/ heating split.

The clock / timmer just turns the system on / off.

If I turn the room stat up the downstairs radiators get hot as you would expect, turn it down and they cool down but upstairs stay red hot.

Any ideas on a post card to...................... :help: :search:

Guest busby

hi if the system is gravity hot water and pumped heating there could be a anti gravity valve in the heating flow riseing from the boiler this could be passing and would require changing

hope this helps

There should be a electronic valve that will cut the flow to the rads a honeywell type pos 3 way or 1 way

do you have a cylinder stat

is hot water gravety feed and pump is switched on by room stat

You can add modern controls to an older system

Stephen

Guest alfaGTA

If I turn the room stat up the downstairs radiators get hot as you would expect, turn it down and they cool down but upstairs stay red hot.

Ian are your radiators plumbed "inline"? so they heat up one after another as the hot water flows from one to the next etc etc? Try turning the radiator thermostat valve or lock sheild valve down to force the hot water thru the system to the downstairs area?

Guest Daren.F
Guest Ian & Carole

Thank you every one

I have identified a "Zone valve" (next to the pump wired to the controler in the airing cupboard ???

Don.t seem to have a "3 way valve"

and cann't see an anti gravity valve any where.

Darren do I need to change the valve or free it off ?? If I pull / push the leaver water flows and the leaver slowly moves back to were it was

Guest Ian & Carole

Yet again I find myself saying "what an amazing place this is"

Post a question about central heating and not only do I get several replies but two phone calls talking me through what is wrong and how to fix it. :clapping: :clapping:

Darren I will start building the ski slope in the morning :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clapping: :clapping:

£15.00 might have saved me hundreds.

Guest peter2b2002

the anti grav valve on my system was only about 1 1/2" long and about 3/4 dia , tucked dehind the hot water cylinder, a real sod to find , so if you have one it could be hiding some where, if the motor valve lever goes back on it's own under spring tension the vavle could be ok that is if you can hear the motor switching on when calling for hot water or heating

peter2b