Mild Steel Fuel Tanks

FERRINO

Being a relative newbie to this - I was initially going to just buy an alloy tank with a catch pot on the bottom for my build.

Then I spotted this on offer On Ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190349047541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My question is, are mild steel tanks ok? Seller says there is no coating of any description internally, just powder on the outside. Don't they rust inside?

Guest mower man

Frost sell a coating primarily to seal porous tanks ,I would think this would hold rust back ,but would personaly only have 1 Alloy 2 stainless 3 fiberglass 4 blown plastic or for comp use aproper fuel cell [ bag tank] my ops only alot depends on depth of pocket mower man :acute: :crazy:

Thanks for the replies chaps - much appreciated. Must admit I don't like the idea of mild steel at all, but was struggling to find off the shelf alloy ones with a swirl pot (especially for less than £200) on the usual sites. I guess Ebay isn't always the answer - it's just the usual place I head first tbh.

Just dropped an email to MK Engineering. I've sent them the link and asked what the approx cost would be to make it in Alu. Fingers crossed.

Cheers again

Tony :)

Thanks again for the link CMA. Martin has just got back to me and can do an alloy one (bit smaller but that's probably better anyway) with catch tank for the same price as the naff mild steel one on Ebay :clapping: - superb!