2.9 V6 Timing Chain Tensioner

Chrisruck

How would I know if my timing chain tensioner has gone?

My engine has now got a loud rattling noise from the front and won't rev at all, just stalls?

It used to run fine although timing was out a little.

Just sent my iva paperwork off as well.

Guest mcramsay

Normally if a tensioner has gone it might allow a little slack which can allow the timing to slip, I would set the engine to tdc and see if the cam timing marks line up with the crank tdc mark, also in doing this should allow you to see the top of the chain, give it a wiggle and see what tension you have on there

When I fire my timing light at the mark the timing line does jump a little forward and backwards? Not a lot though. I've not let it get to temperature to properly do timing as noise is not nice!

Would this cause the noise?

Guest mcramsay

the timing light is telling you about the spark timing, you need to know if the static timing of the engine has changed, this would be the timing between the crank and Cams, to check this you need set the crank to TDC and check that the cams line up with their timing marks. If not then buy running the engine you are running the risk of causing damage. if you have a timing chain rattle then one of the chain guides or the tensioner has worn, some tensioners are oil fed and tension the chain with oil pressure, this allows for taking up slack due to wear of the guides or a little chain stretch. im not familiar with the 2.9 V6 so cannot give you any specific advice, but if it were me i would be checking the static timing of the engine, and then looking at the chain guides. the guide is normally pressed onto the chain by the tensioner and has a plasic guide which the chain rubs on.

check the timing, that will point you in the direction you need to go.

I will try and check it out. It may be oil pump related then. The dizzy did move just before it started making the noise. The pump driveshaft is still there though.

Had the sump off today and found the pickup pipe hanging off! Hopefully this is the cause of the noise. (No oil the the tensioner) just need to find out if the tensioner is fed by oil.

Guest mcramsay

By hanging off do you mean it was no longer connected to the oil pump inlet? If so this would have me really worried, potential loss of oil flow to all vital engine components. Did you have oil pressure when the engine was running? Is it the 12v v6 or 24v cosworth lump?

• 3 weeks later...

After finally getting the sump back on (Still leaking though) I have discovered that the chain tensioner is hydraulic and now working properly. (Although I now have other problems)