Handbrake Position

Guest simonb

Guest simonb

Hi Guys,

Seem to be running into nothing but problems of late, and am needing some advice on the following please.

With the seats we have chosen (Recaros), there is not enough room for the handbrake at the recommended position, and I think it's a bit cack having reach into the passenger footwell every time, so we have decided to mount it on the right of drivers footwell, next to the frame.

The problem is, we are not sure if you can use the standard cables for this and was wondering if anyone here has done something similar as the cables will now run like this from underneath: / |

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Hi Simon,

the tunnel top now seems to be favourite with builders & SVA testers.

Its pretty easy to do, & theres lots of advice around for that location.

I havent seen one where you suggest, but as you say the cable run would be pretty extreme.

Bob

Guest daveg

Simon

A popular place is on top of the tunnel...

I agree its silly in the passenger's side...so that where I put mine :p :lol: :D

I would like to have an old fashioned handle under the dash or maybe an electric one!!! :)

Dave

Guest simonb

We thought about the tunnel, but it would just be annoying as your elbow would always be bashing into it. I was wondering if we could use either signal type brackets or make up an extra pivot point which is driven by the first (if you see what I mean)

;)

Guest simonb

I know, but I have a habbit of starting grand ideas and ending up in a bit of a muddle. Do you think the pivot point idea would work?

Ta

We thought about the tunnel, but it would just be annoying as your elbow would always be bashing into it.

No no no. Quite the opposite. It's a perfect elbow rest :rolleyes:

the only trouble I have is when carrying passengers. They always get in first as they usually need help with the harness, and then I get in and there's an elbow in the way of where mine nromally goes!

Definitely I would recommend the tunnel top fitting. Position it just far enough forward so that your arm fits across the top of it without your elbow having to go further back than the seat back.

Ant

Guest Tim Norman

If you do fit it to the tunnel top just be aware that the tubes down the centrew of the car are not just there for show. They are a structural member. You will need to either weld a nut into the hole or weld a tube through the tunnel top tube. Either way it would still be prefferable to the footwell.

Hi Simonb

2b plus with recaros handbrake top of tunnel between seats

Pluses - good arm rest ,easy to reach & a grab handle for getting in & out

Not so goods ( my seat are bolted direct to floor no runners)

Passeger get elbowed when appling,(wife looks like a Panda)

not much leaverage as arm is high,

sometimes difficult on hill starts (Fly off being worked on)

Hope these point may help as its not till its finished that you can fully apprase

after lots of hard work to you find its Cra******p

Can do pics if req

Cheers

Kevin B)

Guest FIRSTBUILD

ages ago I read a bit about fitting a MR2 hambrake - next time I was in the scrappies I bought one for a tenner, it would fit on the tunnel side and there is a little cross member that goes under the floor that would easilly attach to the Sierra cable but I want to be able to move my drivers seat to and fro and I think it wont go very far forward with that lever fitted - also I really want to get on with the build so I think hambrake can stay in the footwell for now - I have the Recs. seems tight but I think it will go I have raised the off position of the donor lever so that it is an inch below the tunnel-------- if any one wants the MR2 lever and sub frame they can have it for a £5 plus postage £4??

Steve

Guest simonb

Thanks alot for all the info guys. The more I think about it, the better I think it will be to place it on top of the tunnel.

Anyway, am on my hols next week so gives me something to think about whilst slobbing by the pool.

Cheers :D