At Last

Guest Kev Newborough

Guest Kev Newborough

Got my first speeding ticket in the Hood last week going to work, 37 mph in a thirty zone.The summons came yesterday and I have written back a very apologetic letter explaining that I was only going so slow due to oggling two attractive young ladies in a bus stop.Next time I will try to be much faster.

Seriously though , what a pain. £60 and 3 points I expect . Next time I will spend more time watching the speedo and maybe not see the child who runs out in front of me.

Am I now qualified for higher status membership ?.

Kev. :gdit:

Guest Steve.G

Kev.

You and me both - got £60 + 3 points a couple of weeks back (I blame the poll run on here a few months back regarding clean licences <_< ). Accepted with reasonable grace 74mph on A48 dual carriageway in a Transit van (moving house) - could easily have been 80mph+ if I'd been in one of the tintops.

[RANT]

I live on an A road in a village with a 40mph speed limit, bends, blind dips/junctions, children on bikes and sometimes playing ball. Yet people fly through here at 60mph plus. We never get the camera van - whereas on the bit where I got caught it is about most weekends - always on a downhill stretch. Other local councils have installed the light-up warnings 'Slow Down' in most villages and painted red bands on the roads, both of which I believe are effective at attracting attention - surprising how difficult it is not to get the sign to light in a 30mph zone !

[/RANT]

I'll be exceptionally careful once I get the Hood on the road :rolleyes: .

Steve G.

Guest Andy Rathbone

i dont think you qualifiy for a higher membership, but then i didnt ask 12 months ago when i got my piccy taken grrrrrr 41 in a 30 20yrds from the start of the 40 limit, i dont blame the police they are just doing a job they are told to do, i blame polaticians and i feel police time and resources could be spent much better else where. rape, :gdit: murder, :gdit: assault, :gdit: theft, :gdit: robbery and thats just what i want to do to the polaticians. ooooh dont get me started :gdit: :gdit:

Guest TerryBarry
rape,  murder,  assault,  theft,  robbery and thats just what i want to do to the polaticians

I'm not too keen on any of the current party leaders - murder them maybe - but I'd certainly draw the line at rape :ph34r:

Guest Andy Rathbone

mmm perhaps i was a little hasty but all the others still stand, any politician that says "speed cameras will be removed" and they have my vote, but then like most people i want to see actions and not just hot air and statistics fiddling as usuall

Guest Steve.G
I assume you were in a 70 limit

This does appear to be a matter of some debate :wacko: :blink: (perhaps I need to read a current copy of the Highway Code). My understanding is that "National Speed Limit" is 60mph on all unrestricted roads and that only Motorways are 70mph (unless local rules apply).

Perhaps if I get some time later I'll check for highwaycode.gov.uk ????

Steve G.

Guest Mike Hatton

I was in north Wales last year cruising down the motorway at 100 mph when a police motorcyclist pulled along side.

He wagged his finger at me, shook his head and pointed down at his speedo then he accelerated off.

It couldn't have anything to do with me driving a LHD Merc with German number plates could it?

:rolleyes:

Guest Steve.G

Here is the link for anyone unsure of the speed limits - reason I got a ticket was because I was in a Transit - speed limit 60mph on a dual carriageway not the normal 70mph - also note that 50mph on single carriageway roads.

Highway Code

So beware anyone collecting bits for their Hood in a hire van !

(Thanks Graeme)

Steve G.

Guest johnboymac
(I was once done on the M25 for doing 72MPH)

I thought the effective speed limit on the m25 was 15mph???? - how did you manage 72, up the hard shoulder?

John.

Guest TerryBarry
(I was once done on the M25 for doing 72MPH)

That wasn't between junctions 10 & 15 ( later extended to 10 & 16) was it ? - the cameras are apparently set very tight to the posted limit.

You can get a lovely show of brake lights when the overhead gantry signs drop from 60 to 50 - and I thought that it was designed to increase safety.

Guest lopsylu

Terry,

That wasn't between junctions 10 & 15 ( later extended to 10 & 16) was it

yes it was - it was junction 14. The variable speed limits had just been introduced, and ran from 7am to 10am, I was clocked at 10:15am (after the limit had gone back to 70). I questioned the police about the 10% thing, ie not getting done under 77mph, but they told me in no uncertain terms that it was a concesion not a legal right and they could prosecute me for 70.1mph if I got caught doing that speed. No idea if this is true but I didn't fancy testing it out in court.

I do suspect though that the cameras were still set to the 60mph variable limit that morning, but they fined all those over 790 anyway.

Graeme.

Fair enough I suppose if you were doing 14 mph over the limit. I have always thought it is unfair that fixed cameras do not discern between cars and trucks so a lorry or caravanist can travel at least 10mph over their limit without being caught. When was the last time you saw a truck travelling at 60 max on a flat motorway?

Peter