Guest Tim Norman

It would depend on what else you change other than the engine to get it work. You need to get 8 points from carry over components to retain the current vehicle identity (assuming that it has one).

The majority of the points come from the chassis - 5 points if it remains UNMODIFIED. That basically means keeping everything from the existing chassis and only making additions to the structure to make it all work - ANY chassis cutting and you're basically into IVA territory. See this for more detail:

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-Monocoque-Modification.html

Front and rear axles would score 2 points and front and rear suspension would score another 2 as well. Assuming you'll have to swap the rear axle for someting beefier, you'll only score 2 points here from a possible 4

Steering scores 2 points as well.

5 + 2 + 2 = 9 points and I think you might score another point for the body if that's unmodified as well so it should just be possible. You'd be in a similar scenario to a hot rod body-swap (except you're actually keeping the body) but everything else would apply. Have a read of this:

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?23185-Re-bodying-a-definative-thread

this is exactly what gaz0571 followed when building his rod - he only needed an MOT and a DVLA VIC and the car is now correctly and legally registered. Another good source of information if you can be bothered to have a trawl around the Tech section is on www.rodnsods.co.uk

Guest Tim Norman

Looking at mounting a Mini engine in the middle.

Would lose the rear axle and be add to the chassis by mounting the front subframe from the mini.

I'll have a trawl through the links

Cheers

I think that thing that might help you here is the fact that the kittten's got a seperate chassis - if you did a similar mod to a monocoque car you'd definitely need IVA.

I'm pretty sure that the z-cars mini conversions where you put a bike engine or a Honda car engine in the back of a mini now need IVA as they require substantial cutting and alteration of the bodyshell.