Fixed Scuttle Tips

baj25

I’ve cut bonnet now and am weighing up how to support hinges, re-make and seal bulkhead etc. I’ve got a few ideas but would welcome any tips/ suggestions from those that have already been down this path. Car is 2B BTW. Pics would be interesting, I’ve seen many of the finished article but not the hidden parts. TIA, Bri

Evening Brian,

here are a couple of pics of mine, starting with the cut done, the scuttle back in place and the majority of the 'firewall' removed

20130104_155243.jpg

I made a frame from lightweight angle iron that was as wide as the gearbox tunnnel and fixed this between the tunnel top and the scuttle, it also had some lengths of 25 x 3mm flat bar extending from each side to pick up the sloping tubes at each side of the car, you can't see these bars in the pic below

20130128_135225.jpg

The frame was fixed in place with stainless button head bolts and self tappers through the tunnel top, then the new firewall and battery tray was made from 1mm aluminium sheet

DSCF1323_zpsc25e9bbb.jpg

DSCF1324_zps051dd936.jpg

Thanks Steve, yours is indeed a very neat job. I have a heater and quite a bit of other gubbins over the transmission tunnel so I can’t support off there unfortunately. Probably 25x25x3 angle to pick up scuttle side of hinge, ends cut and bent down to sloping tubes as you call them. This can support new fixing for wiper motor as well, mounted vertically rather than horizontally as before. Did you have to put much stiffening steel under moving part of bonnet i.e. where new hinges are? I’m still thinking I’ll need rubber sealing strip between firewall and scuttle, as I plan on making scuttle removable, yours looks metal to metal and more permanent. Cheers, Bri

Although it looks permanent it isn't. The aluminium is rivited to the frame I made, but if all the button head bolts are taken out then the scuttle can still be tilted back on the original alligator mount or removed altogether, but it's not a five minute job.

Hi,

there are a couple more of us who have done the mod and posted over the years. All slightly different so take you pic on how to do it

I did a video a good few years ago now which might be useful

might not be the best way of doing it but works for me.

One of the reasons i did it the way i did was that i didn't want any bolt heads showing to the outside, which includes the bolts to hold the wipers. So my system has an under layer that holds the firewall and is where the wipers are secured to. The outside of the scuttle then sits over this on a rubber seal to create the step on which the bonnet edge sits.

Let me know if you want any more info

hth