Wiper Switch Wiring

Guest Ant

Hi all - a quick'ish question about the wiring to the wiper switch on a 1989 vintage Sierra loom and column switches. I have hatchback switc which includes a rear wiper. In the Haynes wiring diagrams there are two wires, both coloured black / violet going to this switch. One comes from fuse 15 and the other goes to the rear wiper motor. I removed the rear wiper wire when I did a bit of loom chopping, but I'm now a bit confused. I still have black / violet wire going to the bottom left connector on the switch (viewed from behind, into the connections). Is this the right one?

Another way to solve this query is as follows - at the top of the column switch is a seperate spade terminal. Is this where my other black / violet wire used to go to? If so, which black / violet wire is it - the one to the fuse box or the one to the rear wiper?

Next question is regarding a two speed Lucas mini wiper motor. Mine doesn't want to park properly. I presume that the switch in the little white box on the back does this. This box has 3 wires going off to the motor, and 5 wires coming in. What effect should pressing or releasing the switch have on the connection of these terminals? On my switch there seems to be absolutely no effect what so ever!

All help gratefully received, particularly with the column switch connections question.

Cheers

Ant

(SVA 1 month today - ARGHHHHH)

The Black/Violet going to 54 on the column switch should be live with ignition on and everything else off. Your column switch should be marked with numbers and the odd letter. Incredibly in my opinion the lead to the old sierra wiper has five wires and the way the column switch is designed makes it a straight connect job and you can even keep intermittent wipe by retaining relay 153 and the intermittent speed control switch 154.

The five terminals are numbered 1 2 3 4 5. When 'on the park cam' the little white switch links 1 & 2 and when 'off the cam' it links 2 & 4. For the park to work you need a constant ignition positive to 4 and to be able to link 2 & 5 externaly in the column switch.

Mat put a pic and legend as number 1 on the old site in build bits! Connect as below for 87-89 loom. 1. (Earth) Brown. 2. (Linked B1 to 53) Brown/White. 3. (Power from 53, fast) Green. 4. (Ign on constant park supply) Black/Violet. 5. (Power from 53B, slow) Green. If you dont want intermittent wipe just don't use the intermittent speed control switch and insulate all its ends.

For the washers its all there as per Haynes, but relay 83 is not being used. Identify it and leave it in as a spare even though its doing nothing.

This switch has ever been missunderstood. Not for nothing is Lucas known as the 'Prince of Darkness' over the pond!

Nigel

Below a schematic of the Lucas wiper motor. The column switch has just been switched off and the wiper is powered to move to the park position via the Bk/V through 4, then via the park switch to 2. Back up the Bn/W to the column switch at B1 which links to 53 when col sw off thus back down the Gn to 5 and runs the motor till the cam breaks the park switch and the motor stops.

(Acknowledgement to Dan Masters, Vintage Triumph Register, Michigan for switch and motor schematic, Wiper Motor .)

Quick follow-up. I traced through all of the wiring last night and found that I basically had one extra black / violet wire which used to go to the rear wiper. For some reason it was connected from the column switch to the wiper's fuse, hence putitng the column switches in certain positions caused hte fuse to blow. I've now removed this wire, checked all the others, and after a bit of repair work on the wiper park switch I now have a two speed working wiper motor connected to my loom.

Thanks hugely for all the help guys!

Ant