Gearbox Options For 250Bhp Zetec

Guest Andy Gaskell

Guest Andy Gaskell

Hi All,

Im curious to see what people are doing for gearboxes, I currently have a type 9 gearbox but I'm building a new engine out of the car and hoping to be running around 250bhp.

As type 9s are becoming harder to find and also from research i don't think they will hold the test of time at that power I'm wondering what there options i have.

I Have a Zero and using black top zetecs, has anyone used other gearboxes or uprated ones? if so what modifications did you have to do to get them to fit the zetec and the chassis of the zero??

Regards,

Andy

Guest wargob

The chassis will take a zetec engine without any modifications and the MT75 will work perfect with it, however to get your zetec to 200 bhp NA (cylinder head work) will cost you £3000 with throttle bodies, anything over that and you will need massive bottom end work for another £3000.

you might as well just go for an S2000 engine and box for £2000 and get 255bhp standard ? ? ?

Trust me on this one i have done both look in my garage at my car list ?

you will need massive bottom end work for another £3000.

what bottom end did you by for £3000, i have fully forged pistons and H rods uprated bearing and bored out to suite pistons and cost £1,075. this set up is good for up to 500 bhp.

Might not be N/A set up as a turbo set up on small boost will see 250 bhp on a zetec for £1500 to £3000 depending on parts, over 250 bhp is when you need to spend the cash, i know of a type 9 that has over 300 bhp going through it and its still going strong, i am supercharging my zetec ATM and should produce over 300 bhp and i will be using a standard type 9 but if it goes bang i will put a type 5 box in.

i understand making a N/A car boosted cost more but its more fun to do it,

Guest wargob

It has a steel billet crankshaft and most important of all is dry sump as well tuned N/A zetec's need to rev to 8000+ and the standard oil pump is not upto the job

I'm always interested in engine work and whilst I have a very good knowledge of the Pinto and how different modifications work and feel, I am very light on Zetec knowledge

So how do you get 250bhp from a N/A Zetec and just as important how will it feel on the road?

My only comparison is my 3 Pinto's

Standard one is adequate

130 bhp is good, flexible, revs but has limits

170 bhp is peaky, you can feel the hole below 3,500 to 4k but then wow

I don't think I would go anymore wild on cams

So where does the power come in on a wild cammed Zetec and if 250 is your target then low compression, standard cams and big boost would be what I would plan for.

Of course it's all personal and I applaud a different approach

Guest wargob

Using a 210+ bhp N/A zetec on the road would be nasty ALL the power is well above 6000 rpm and service interval of 500 miles would also be a pain witch would come round very quick too. here is a link to show build cost's look at page 6 and onwards.

http://www.raceline.co.uk/Uploads/product_images/zetec%20brochure%202007.pdf

If you are looking for this power and reliability go for the s2000 engine, box, loom and ecu you can get the lot for less than £2000. The vtec gives low rev torque and hi rev power and is good for 150,000 miles without hassle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andy Gaskell

Well my plan is to turbo charge. I already have a zetec running around 200bhp in the car now but im building a turbo engine out of the car on the stand. My reason for sticking with the zetec engine is i already have so many bits for that engine like the race sumps and water rails etc so decided not to change the engine.

My main concern isnt the engine its just simply my gear box options. I like the s2000 engine but since my car is already adapted to the zetec and i already have all the wiring and bits for zetec im choosing to stick to it