Air Con

maw

Last week the air con in my 5-series stopped working, I got it re-gassed but a few days later it had run out! So back into the dealer where they discovered the condenser unit had failed. A top of of gas got me through the weekend but it's failed again!

Apparently there is a backlog for the condenser units & it could be a month until any arrive into the UK!

I rung up BMW this morning to complain. Within 2-hours they'd arranged for me to have another 5-series until mine is fixed. Really good service. It will save me some miles & wear on my tyres but I'm disappointed that a car less than 18-months old would have this problem!

Have others had problems with BMW air-con failures?

Guest Ian & Carole

To come back to you that fast and offer a car tells you that they have a massive problem and that they are very aware of it.

Just make sure that they haven't put a mileage clause on the "loan" car they have been known to.

Yeah that was my thought! I've never known anything like it with such a big brand! I used to have an Audi A6 which I loved & I had fallen in love with my Beamer but I'm not wondering if I should try another marque... I do quite a lot of mileage so reliability & comfort are key!

I checked the policy & it's unlimited mileage - good idea to check though :)

Guest chris brown

To come back to you that fast and offer a car tells you that they have a massive problem and that they are very aware of it.

My thoughts also Ian

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that... BMW have given me a like for like car & I'm not disappointed to be putting my miles onto that but it has started to make me think whether I want another... It's obviously a problem because they've said it could take a month for the part to arrive into the UK!

I've never had a Merc but like the look of the E-Class but the wheels always look small to me. I also like the Jag XF...

Before my recent experience I had thought about the 4-series but going for 3 litre diesel version. I'm not sure what to do now!

I don't think beemers are much worse than any other brand, they all have their issues, although the 4 cyl diesel timing chains can cost 6k plus when they go, and we've had a few at work.

After years of BMW and Merc motoring for daily drivers (I do 35k miles plus per year) I more recently opted for a VW CC which I'm enjoying and hasn't put a foot wrong over 32k miles so far. Nice looks, very comfy and seriously economical, even for a big diesel auto.

Cheers

Edited by Andy Spencer

Guest peter2b2002

swmbo has a merc, gets a new one every year as she use to work at MK head quarters,and is on there car plan for workers, never had a fault with any of them last one was an 180 estate lovely car to drive, latest is a 180 saloon

peter2b