Pinto 2.0L Wont Start

Guest Martin.stgeorge

Guest Martin.stgeorge

yesterday I think I ran out of petrol and the car started to cough and splutter and then came to a stop, I managed to get the car home, I took the plugs out and cleaned and put some new fuel in and the car seemed to start up. this morning I tried to start the car and all went well, i went to the petrol station to fill up and it started fine, then when i drove about 1mile up the road the car staled again did no start?

have got an air lock? or could there be dirt in the carb? i have twin 40 dellortos.

many thanks martin

As per Mower Man, I agree on the dirt being the most likely cause.

Change the filters first that's the easy one, then I'm not sure about the Dellortos, Do they have a filter on the incomer like the Webers?

The other possibility is lack of a breather for the tank, make sure you have a vent so air can replace the used fuel and that the vent is not blocked.

If the tank is not too full, remove the fuel cap and test it to eliminate a blocked vent.

Guest Martin.stgeorge

I have been outside in the sunny evening and think I have fixed it, I made sure I had spark as I thought this might gave been a problem. But all fine. I then adjusted some of the air fuel screws to see if one had become out of sorts, it has been running a little rich for sometime and think it was flooding the engine to the point of stopping, I leaned off the mixture and changed the idle screw which is in between the 2 carbs, I started the engine and seems to run a little better, I will need to take the car to a tuner, as it is not perfect but is running well. How much should I expect to pay for a tune?

Many thanks for your help.

Martin