Oil Warning Light

Guest Bob Rowell

Guest Bob Rowell

On the way home from Bletchley yesterday I was quite worried to see my oil warning light coming on every time the engine was allowed to idle. Pressure shown on the gauge was about 1.5 bar (approx 20lb sq in).

The car was very hot having done well over 100 miles virtually non-stop. I have done about 800 miles since the last oil change, when I used a good quality 15/40, and a new filter of course.

Has anyone else had this happen? what is the best option? eg: change to 20/50, fit an oil cooler, fit a high pressure pump. What are the relevant costs for each option?

All advice will be gratefully received. :mellow:

Guest Battery Bill

Is 15/40 not better for newer closer tolerance engines?

I think older engines are best with thicker stuff.

My sister had a Mini that the oil light came on at tickover, and you knew if it was needing more oil because the guage sank to zero round right handers (Or it might have been left handers :rolleyes: My Memorys fading) It lasted forever :D

Usually the warnig light would come on around 15lbs, you're lucky if it's coming on earlier, 20lbs idle on a hot engine is normal, so long as you're getting 55-60lbs with more revs.

you could fit an oil cooler, that would give you better pressure at idle, as the oil would be cooler, a high output pump wouldn't make any difference IMHO. Again I have to agree with Billy boy (must stop doing that!) 20-50 is better for the Pinto.

Guest TerryBarry
My sister had a Mini that the oil light came on at tickover, and you knew if it was needing more oil because the guage sank to zero round right handers (Or it might have been left handers  My Memorys fading)

Right first time Bill - roundabouts were a favourite place :rolleyes:

Guest salty_monk
Again I have to agree with Billy boy (must stop doing that!) 20-50 is better for the Pinto

Regardless of any modifications to Cam, Head etc??

Guest johnboymac

don't know if its relevant but - castrol have started selling an oil for older engines, its meant to be thicker to protect your clapped out old banger engine (I think that's how they phrased it on the bottle....). I bought some but havn't put it in yet as Im still building and want to flush and change soon.

J

Regardless of any modifications to Cam, Head etc??

Modifications make no difference whatso to the required viscosity. The relevant factor for that is the size of the oil-ways. Modifications may result in you wanting an oil with a higher temperature tolerance (if you're going to be using it in serious anger) and in the case of lumpier cams you want something with a higher film strength to protect them (and their folowers). Basically get the highest API rating you can find. Don't assume race oil is better either, it's designed to perform well at continuous high temps only - it may have the correct viscosity ratings at cold but it takes longer to get warm and so is not a good match for the engine at "normal" operating temps - it really is for racing.

Iain

Guest salty_monk

So ideally I want an API SL rated 20w50 or failling that an SF rated 20w50.

It has a Piper 285 Cam which is reasonably lumpy I believe.... (290 degrees)

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/NewPiperWeb/red...rCamFrames.html

I also have access to an oil cooler - is it worth fitting or will it make the engine run too cold around town? It is about 300mm long with 11 or 12 rows.

Dan

Guest daveg

Dan

API SL is easy to get...Halfords own brand 20w/50 :)

or Castrol GTX or Magnatec if you want to spend more money for the same API rating :( :unsure:

If your oil cooler has a thermostat then it won't do any harm :)

Dave

Guest Bob Rowell

Thanks everyone, you always come through with sound information.

I have been a GTX user for many years, but for the last year or so I have been able to buy Q8 oils in bulk at a very good price. This has worked fine for the everyday cars and as I had plenty in stock I used it in the Hood without a second thought.

I will call and get some Halford's 20/50, do an oil change, and see what happens.

Glad to know that I don't need to change the pump, or run to the expense of a cooler just yet.

Thanks.

Guest daveg

Salty

GTX has always be available in 20w/50 flavour...

The new 5w/30 etc are recent additions for new engines like Zetec...if you put the wrong oil in a Zetec it will become scrap

Dave