Petrol Smell

alanrichey

Guest stevenkirk

My Superspec has/had a petrol smell upon starting. Couldn't find a leak as such but found a slight weep where the flexible is connected to the return pipe to the tank. The original builder just jubilee clipped the flexible onto the fuel pipes to and from the tank and crushed them. There is supposed to be inserts inside the ends of rigid pipes to prevent this from happening. Ordered them from kitspares and solved that one. The other petrol smell is coming from the fuel tank when the car is being cranked. Remember it is sitting about 2 ft behind you. As I have said on this forum before, i have to prime the fuel lines several times before cranking the engine due to the fuel running back into the tank. Don't know why it does. But it does and have put the petrol smell down to displacement of air due to the returning petrol. Plus I also found the breather pipe was botched too and repaired that one too

Guess I'm not the only Superspec owner with a petrol smell then :) As per my diagram, my braided pipes are also just attached to the 'polyurethane'? pipes just with jubilee clips. But I don't have any rigid pipes in the system so I guess that is OK. And did another run today (120 miles) and no smell at any time, so I am fairly satisfied I have isolated my problem.

I also used to have a very strong smell after a left turn with a fullish tank. Traced that to a poor seal at the filler cap (took the hint that there were fuel streaks running down the back panel). Added a couple of extra rubber rings and that problem was solved. So I am again happy my sender is not the cause.

What fun :) :)

• 7 months later...

My Superspec has/had a petrol smell upon starting. Couldn't find a leak as such but found a slight weep where the flexible is connected to the return pipe to the tank. The original builder just jubilee clipped the flexible onto the fuel pipes to and from the tank and crushed them. There is supposed to be inserts inside the ends of rigid pipes to prevent this from happening.

It's been a few months but having given up myself I asked a local mechanic to check it over. And contrary to my hypothesis that the braided pipe was absorbing petrol while the car was standing and then evaporating off when the engine got warm, he found I was totally wrong and the reason was exactly as you described. As the pipes dried out the joint began to weep when you first started the engine, just as you describe. Once they got wet again the pipe expanded and closed off the leak.

Do you have a ref for the inserts ? I need to fit them as well.