Starter Motor Woes

Dave Ed

If you take a screw diver and touch the big battery live to to the ignition switched terminal solenoid should kick in.

If touched to the moter feed motor should turn but not engage.

Stephen

Edited by stevedohc2b

If you take a screw diver and touch the big battery live to to the ignition switched terminal solenoid should kick in.

If touched to the moter feed motor should turn but not engage.

He forgets to mention the earth strap from the engine to the chassis. If that is bad, you will also have starting problems.

Edited by Simon B

Ok I've got some direction for later once I'm back from the Dragon in laws.

I'm thinking I don't have an earth from engine to chassis.

I'll also try bridging the starter and bypassing the solenoid.

Cheers guys

I spent some time going through the previous suggestions and looked at my wiring diagrams.

the ignition switch is wired incorrectly so I wrote everything down in plain English so I'd understand it and rewired the switch exactly the same as it originally had been when I started. Idiot!!

I'll do it properly again tomorrow.

As for the starter I think I'll just get a new one. I'm ringing a local shop tomorrow but probably can't get anything done until the weekend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-1-6-2-0-OHC-PINTO-HIGH-POWER-BRAND-NEW-UPGRADE-STARTER-MOTOR-82-86-/271765788262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3ASierra&hash=item3f4680d666

Could someone tell me if this is the same as my lucas 5M90 starter motor

It also has 25368a on the casing.

I can't find much on the web to help me.

Cheers Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, my local motor factors supplied me with a replacement starter and wow it's small compared to the original.

I rewired the ignition switch and dribbled some fuel directly into the carb and spun it up.

The engine started on the second go, so it was definitely a dodgy starter motor.

The one I got was an original spec 0.9 kW.

The uprated ones on eBay look identical and are almost the same price. If I'm doing it again I'd go for the starter and alternator combo.

Anyway the car starts and I gave it a quick blat down the road to check the car over, time for an mot now.

• Like 1