Excess Brake Travel

Guest kevin

Guest kevin

My brake pedal has too much travel.

The front calipers are the right way up

The disk pads are in the correct position.

The brake fluid is getting past the sierra valve to reach the rear cylinders

There is no air in the fluid when bled.

Do I need a new master cylinder? Help

Kevin Howard

Guest peter2b2002

Hi Kevin,i to thought i had too mutch pedal travel ,it even failed it's sva on insuficient reserve brake travel,although it passed on the braking test, when i got a mate to look at the servo mounting plate , it was moving about 1/2" at the top when i stood on the brake pedal even though i had put a piece of tube from the top of the brake/clutch mounting to the tube that the steering top mount is fixed to. the fix was to replace it with a 3/4" angle iron strap , bingo no movement,

hope this works for you

cheers pete2b

I've herd that it is possible to get air trapped in the bias valve, when you bleed the rear, you are supposed to put it vertical (out at the top) then re-fit it at the correct angle (what ever that is).

Mine bled fine without moving the bias valve. I can't really see that being standard practice because it has metal pipes going into it, and you shouldn't bend these repeatedly.

I'd check out the movement in the pedal box / mounting plate, and if that's not it then it could well be the seals in the master cylinder. How much of the barking components have you replaced?

Ant

Guest kevin

The only bit of the braking circuit that is not new is the servo/master cylinder unit.

The pedal box is braced so it does not move.

Any other ideas or is it a new master cylinder?

Kevin Howard

Air can still get trapped in the ford pressure valve thing and lets fluid through. The pressure bleeding devices can get rid of the air as they flow a lot of fluid through. I and many others have spent hours bleeding these things. If you have the smaller 1600 drums on the back I am sure you will get away without the inertia valve.

Peter.

Hi Ihad a similar problem as I had tightened the handbrake cable before adjusting the rear shoes. Once I slackened the cable then adjusted the shoes then retightened the cable it was OK. Hope this helps .Geoff

Guest chris brown

Does the travel get much less when you have the hand brake on if so then the adjusters in the rear drums need to be taken up as Geoff says