Revcounter Blues!

Guest SteveL

Guest SteveL

Hi Guys

I've got a bit fo a problem with my revcounter. When cutting the front off the instrument cluster, adding the new perspex front, fitting it in the car etc I appear to have moved the revcounter needle. It now rests on the plastic ledge below it, rather than hovering around the 0 mark. You can see this in this picture of the cluster (LINK).

I tried to fix this last night, but if I move the revcounter needlemanually, it just moves and then goes back to rest on the plastic ledge.

All this means that when the engine is idling, according to the revcounter, it's doing 0 RPM. Not good! Don't fancy doing the SVA noise test at 800-1000 RPM more than I need to! :(

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fix this, or is it buggered?

Steve

Guest DaveB

Hi Steve

I have not seen this with a Sierra instrument but have seen it many times on others. I suggest you pull the pointer off they are only a press fit and then refit it where you need it to be. The rev counter is a moving coil or moving iron voltmeter there is insufficient detent torque in them for you to force the pointer around that it why you need to do it as above.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Dave :D

Steve,

as Dave says, lever the needle off the spindle ( be very careful as the spindle is quite thin) and reposition it to point at the zero mark before pushing it back on. I did this the other day after fitting some white dials I got cheap.

Les

Guest SteveL

Well it worked. It took a while to get the pointer off, as it was a very tight fit, and I didn't want to yank too hard, but it came off, and I've put it back on, reading at 0 (or very slightly more than 0)

Cheers guys

Steve