New Speed Cameras Birmingham And Solihull

Nicola Roberts

Guest peter2b2002

saw 2 bad crashes on our way down the m40 , 1 car had rolled up a bank another a small transit was missing the entire front up to the windscreen, I think it may have been due to the very heavy rain storm we went through

peter2b

Locations :

A38 Bristol Road between Priory Road and Speedwell Road – 30mph
A456 Hagley Road between Portland Road and Lordswood Road – 30mph 
A4540 New John Street between Lucas Circus and Hospital Street – 30mph 
A34 Newtown Row Northbound between New John Street West and Newbury Road – 30mph 
A45 Coventry Road between Berkley Road and Rowland Road/Steyning Road – 40mph
Solihull routes
B425 Lode Lane (between Henley Crescent and Moat Lane) – 30mph
B4114 Bradford Road / Chester road (in the vicinity of the junction) – 30mph
A3400 Stratford Road, Hockley Heath – 30mph

Knowing most of these areas well, they look pretty much exclusively chosen for their high volume of traffic during peak hours. I would say for 90% of them, you'd be hard pushed to average above the limit anyway during the main parts of the day. I can imagine they are high accident hot spots but just due to traffic volume, not speed. But of course, the statistics are totally skewed anyway because of how officers record any RTAs; invariably speed is put down as the cause when it isn't the case.

So, as usual, this is just a money making exercise justified by the use of inaccurate statistics and a misbelief that speed = deaths (and only speed = deaths, rather than driver education, awareness, etc).

Having said that, I don't have too much issue with the locations because if people are averaging significantly more than those limits through those areas then it's either 3am in the morning, or they are driving like total twats :)

Edited by brumster
  • Like 1