Air Inlet Pipework

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

I have very little space left for an air filter. And very little room for pipework! Basically the air Inlet diameter on the m3 is 3.5". So I need to get a 180 degree bend in a very tight space. Mandrel bends and silicone elbows won't do the trick.... Any other alternatives ???

I'm even starting considering going to screw fix and using the flexible aluminium ducting for a cooker hood!!

Guest Gargoil

Sometimes it can be a good idea to do what you think will perform better and just make a feature of it. Will a bonnet bulge or scoop make things easier with fitting and sticking with the 3.5 inch of the original?

Guest mcramsay

I really don't want to go down the route of bonnet scoops, it would not suit the look of the car at all, the problem really is caused by the maf. I can't get both the maf and filter where I have the room, and I can't bend anything to fit else where.

My next option is to run the air filter into the passenger side footwell.... I do not want to do that either! I will post up a few pics

Guest 2b cruising

If you take some picks and clearance measurements, the famous enough Steamer and red seven engineering would probably come up with a good lookin plenum and filter box to fit.

Can't guarantee he will but would be rare if he can't.

Made my own ally plenum at one stage and managed to get a 100mm feed past my radiator but it was a job. I had thought at one stage that using two smaller feed pipes and filters to the plenum may have worked just as well and been easier but didn't go that route in the end. Now I just have a hole in the bonnet with the pipercross sausage sticking out. Function over form in the end.

Nigel

Guest 2b cruising

Marlins don't seem to look good with bulges, bumps or scoops really.

Not to bad low down on the sides though.

My opinion only though.

Guest Turboz

Are you running an aftermarket ecu if so you don't need the maf sensor it only helps get that last 5% fuel economy that's all, tps and air temp alone are fine.

Edited by Turboz