Air Filter

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

im a complete novice and have just bought a hood 2 litre s7 :D

it has a 2 litre engine and a replacement weber carb, the guy i bought it off gave me a "RAMAIR" filter to fit with the car but it needs a hole cutting in the bonet to fit.

i thought this would a relatively simple job until someone asked wouldnt the rain get in?

I have seen loads of cars with airfilters like this but never really thought about it

this may be me being ridiculous and overly simple but wont the water go in just like the air does if it startes to rain and surely this cant do much good for the engine?

theres probably a very simple explanation but what is it?

Thanks for the help

James

Guest Stephen Waite

As i said in the car back 'don't go out when its moist j'

The water shouldn't hard performance in any way but if you are worried you could construct a cover for the filter.

Or you could have a bonnet buldge which i know you'd love! :wub:

Steve

Guest Battery Bill

Hey Home made water injection system :D :D

I think it would probably work better if its a light drizzle, but some of the downpours we have had of late might be a bit much :lol: :lol:

Ignor the plebs! you don't really want the air filter stuck out through the bonnet, it looks bl00dy awfull! the first problem is that it probably has a crappy carb on it, you need either a 32/36 DGAV or a 38 DGAS, then fit a foam air filter so that it doesn't need to stick through the bonnet. (at a push, you can remove the bakealight thick gasket between the carb & manifold to give more clearance)

Guest docter fox

iv seen that there are some twin 45 webers in the for sale section, is this a good path to go down? (if the insurance man will let me)

how much difference would they make and at what cost to fuel consumption?

Thanks

James

the insurance man (well most kitcar insurance companies) won't give a monkey's what you do, apart from increase the size of the engine, but it's NOT the path to go down IMHO there are a few cars out there that are running well (or so their owners say! ;) ) on twin Webers etc. but the majority don't! with carburation problems etc. why do you think you see so many twin carb set-ups for sale? These added to god awful MPG, problems with ignitions etc. points to steering clear of twin carbs.

My opinion, take it or leave it! (or should I say pay & suffer!)

Guest docter fox

Most insurance companies are not so generous with me as they are with you.

It will be my first car so to insure a 17 year old with a 2 litre is 1550, which is more than i paid for the car (needs work)

so if i modify it in anyway i have to be careful what it will do to the insurance

does anyone have a 2litre pinto with twin 45 webers? what sort of mpg do you get n how much extra power?

Guest Bob Rowell

James, listen to what big Jim said - forget twin 40's, I sold mine and fitted a 32/36 Weber after overhauling it, new jets, gaskets etc. There is very little difference in performance, mainly because the 40's were always going out of tune. I now get about 32 mpg and enough performance to have fun.

Guest salty_monk

The 45's in the For Sale section belong to me. I got them from a mate of mine who had them on an RS2000 that he bought & is now breaking.

I was going to use them but it would be a shame to dump a brand new 38 DGAS that I have fitted.

MPG with the 45's would be about 23MPG on a run so I've heard, currently getting 25MPG with the DGAS but I'm pretty sure it needs a tune up plus I have a pretty heavy right foot!!

A few on here have had success with 40's or 45's it seems but one thing everyone agrees on is that they are not fuel efficient & MPG will suffer.

You will get more top end power though & more induction noise plus they look nice... guess it's up to you at the end of the day!! :)

Guest docter fox

being a student stil at school money is definately an issue so i think il stick with a single carb to leave some of the money i have to fix whats wrong with it before i start adding bits :rolleyes:

so thanks for the info salty monk but i think il pass on the twin carbs

(i have a feeling i could be asking a fair few questions on this forum)

Thanks for all the help guys

James