Engine Mountings

Guest Fred2b

Guest Fred2b

I think I need to replace the engine mounting rubbers. The exhaust seems to have dropped down where it comes through the side panel so it now bangs on the chassis rail. I have put in some steel plate spacers as a temporary fix on one side to lift it about 10mm but over a week it has dropped back down again.

I ordered some new ones from my local shop but they are not the same so I did not take them. They were just a simple block of rubber with a bolt going through. Mine are as in the attached picture with a small locating pin, are they something special, the bloke at the shop seems to think they are hydraulic but I don't.

Help

Peter

post-10-1093194786.jpg

The ones in your pic are one type of the standard sierra mounts. I don't think they are hydraulic. Its odd for them to collapse progressively so fast. Have you checked that the alloy arms from the block to the mounts are still properly bolted onto the block with four bolts.

They are quite expensive, something like £30 or more each so scrappie for spares.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fred,

They most certainly are hydraulic !

That is to say that one section of them is oil-filled to aid damping. I have two brand new ones in my garage ; I don't know where you live, but if you can come and get 'em they're yours ! I am in the Reading area.

I have a series 3a and with these mounts (which were intended to operate at 45 degrees but in my hood they are vertical so the sideways stability is awful) my engine leaps about 3 inches in either direction, striking the steering column.

I got some RS200 competition mounts in the end and made up some blocks to get the engine to the right hieght. They are very solid and now the engine block doesn't move at all. Strangely I get no additional virbration, so I am very happy with this setup.