Sva Fail

Guest Pacman

Hi i have just fitted a new exhaust from custom chrome using the robin hooh 4 in to 1 manifold and is a lot quiter> The cheap option would be to re pack. or you can have my old robin hood one and get a new 4in to 1 manifold from rhsc for about £55 to fit it or a nice new one from custom Chrome for £ 175 + the manifold from rhsc.

I can take to Donnington If you need.

Stephen Altwassser

Guest Pacman

Thanks for the offer Steve

Im going to ring rhsc and price up a new manifold and exhaust it has to be a lot less than £700 I have been quoted.

Cheers Pacman (Paul)

don't get the silencer from RHSC, it'll give up the ghost after a couple of thousand miles, get the 4-1 manifold, then an aftermarket repackable silencer from elsewhere. I personally would recommend the wunoff silencer, it's stainless, and repackable, also it's £150 if you tell Bob that you're a RHOCaR member. The drawback with them is, you need to fit the silencer as it's 6" dia, not 5", then you need to draw an outline of the input end of the silencer, and the output end of the "manifold" (wherever you're going to cut it to) send that to wunoff, and they'll make you a pipe to join the two up.

Their phone number and web site details are on our "contacts" page here.

The Custom chrome silencer is repackable, but the drawbacks are, the input pipe could be the wrong angle (it is for Monocoque cars) the fixing clamp on the input end of the silencer leaves a lot to be desired, also after a few thousand miles, the front face of the silencer takes a hammering from road muck, and starts to loose it's chrome finish.

the custom chrome silencer wasn't quiet enough for the Vauxhall engine either.

the photo is the standard Wunoff silencer, you can have them shorter if you want, contact bob at Wunoff.

post-9-1093897543.jpg

You can quieten the exhaust right down without cutting into it and the process only takes about half an hour. Remove the exhaust (mine was a 4 into 1 2b stainless pipe) and cut a restrictor washer similar to the one that RHSC supply. Basically a disc with three legs that has a hole in the middle. Start with a smallish hole, say 10mm. Tak weld the restrictor into the very end of the exhaust that fits into the 4 into 1 pipe. Seal up the joint with some fire gum. Power will be right down as the engine can't breath, but it will purr like a sleeping kitten and pass the test easily. Once you have you SVA ticket, remove the restrictor by snapping out the tak welds. Alternatively, just increase the size of the hole in the restrictor slightly. Mine is almost straight through apart from about a 4mm lip all the way around the outside of the restrictor. Still Bl00dy loudy thou'.

Guest timswait

For the exhaust:

It sounds like you have the twin tube, which can't be packed. Mine failed SVA first time on this, but second time I went the pan scourer route and it passed comfortably. The trick to getting them to stay in was to poke them well up BEHIND the restrictor washer that RHE give you. I had to drive about 40-50 miles to the sva test and it stayed in all the way there (I took some extra just in case though :D ), but it had blown out by the time I got home. I agree with Jim, why can't RHE supply an exhaust which passes SVA?? :gdit: .

I have now fitted the RHE 4 into 1 mani and glass packed silencer. This made it a lot quieter for about 1000 -2000 miles, but now it's back to where it was, I'm going to follow the repacking advice at the beginning of this thread, does anyone know why RHE silencers blow the packing out when others don't, is there anything I can change to stop it? As for the Manifold, it was cheap, but wasn't an easy fit. RHE feel the need to make it a subtley different shape to the twin tube in just about every way, so if the twin tube fits, the 4 into 1 won't. For me I needed to move the altenator (new belt and fabricate new bracket), the clutch cable (Ok not too differcult), the steering columb (this was very differcult, and needed the pedals moving to accomodate the new position), the brake servo and the hole in the body side needed enlarging.

Advice to anyone reading this thread starting on a build - don't get the twin tube exhaust, you will need to 'cheat' to pass SVA and if you do you'll eventually get tired of having to wear ear plugs when you drive, and not being able to do track days.

Steering wheel - Mine too failed on the Mountney boss not being collapsable, a classic case of different staions with different standards. It passed with the Sierra steering wheel fitted. The SVA logic behind this was with the wheel's larger size it should bend if you hit it, and so the wheel itself is collapsable. Fine unless you happen to be steering when you crash and you hit one of the spokes!

Thanks for all the help

I have had a new exhaust fitted by long life £264 hand built from the old ford manifold down a lovely job looks and sounds nice I had a courtasy car for the day in with the price as well so Im happy :D

I have rebooked my SVA for this Monday 6th. I hope I pass I have had to take my horn off the wheel as it would not fit the new boss and wheel put a little button on the side of the collum hope its good enough :unsure:

Pacman ;)

Guest Friar Tuck

How did the retest go?

The horn is not part of the test, so at least that is one less to worry about.

The Friar

Oops, just seen the next topic from Pacman!

Edited by Friar Tuck