Donington, The Debate!

Big Jim

We drove up on sunday, got delayed by the jams around Silverstone, had two petrol stops , etc etc, so when the guy on the gate asked for 10 quid for me and the wife in our hood, i felt as i had no choice but to pay.

I believe the car is the star of these things. Without your pride and joy lined up with rows of others, these people haven't got a show.

We went to the Uxbridge Car Show this summer. It s different I know, but here's the score...........

Cars on display got in Free, including all passengers. WE had a seperate entrance,

with mr plod giving priority in and out of the show, and even got a free plaque.

Loads of space for the club stand, BBQ etc. and acres of trade stalls and auto jumble.

There were more cars ( not all kit, i know ) and importantly, more paying visitors than I saw at Donnington on Sunday.

And it was a Charity event !

The moral is that if the kit show organisers insist on using venues with high overheads, like race tracks, then those costs must be recovered from someone..YOU.

And then of course the greedy busteds are always looking for maximum profits too.

Maybe the days of the show exclusive to kit cars are numbered, and we should expect in future to be included as a part of classic / vintage / custom type shows.

Judging by the queues going to Silverstone on Sunday, this would not be such a bad idea. It would get my vote.

if it was the  track action you wanted to see, then why didn't you check which day it was on?

I knew the open track day was on sat, but I had other commitments. I had the (wrong) idea that the manufacturers cars were out on both days, but never mind. I won't be making that mistake again! I think the 10 quid entry on the track day is pretty fair. Ok so I got in for £2 with my RH, but my friends didn't. The £10 that they paid for Sunday this year was too much and I got a lot of stick from them about it. Last year the same people paid the same amount on the day with track action and enjoyed it so much they wanted to go again. Anyhow, I'll not go on the non track day again ... unless I'm free on both and can camp over.

Do you go to Football? how much is that for 1½hrs of "entertainment"?

I don't. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think we're in agreement. It's all about money and they need to be careful otherwise they'll price themselves out of the market.

Ant

most of my friends are getting there cars bought for them by there parents and i thought i would have to pay for mine in full but dad kindly said he would go halves on anything i spent on my first car (the hood - which seems to be more his at the moment as i cant drive it yet) the funny thing is that as it is my money that i keep spending i appreciate it a lot more and feel it really is mine.

Off topic, but that's excellent, keep with that attitude and you'll always be OK.

Top marks! ;) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the weekend for the company as some have said here,maybe the shows seem a bit samey or stale once your on the road and big meets are more called for than actual shows.

I travelled up from southwest london with a group od locosters as well as a couple of MK owners,we had a good evening talking rubbish as normal so we were happy.

Club areas could be a bit more organised though,and the track day change was not the best idea but we dont know the compications of booking the site.