Oil Pick Up Pipes

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Have a look at the pic. I have 2 pick up pipes. One for a 2.0, one supposed to be for a 1.6.

The bigger one is from the 1.6.

Are they all different like this? The sump is definitely the same.

When I tried this one by holding the bracket on the bottom of the block the 2.0 lines up nicely but the 1.6 sits at about 30 degree angle to the bottom of the sump pan...

Is it just the bracket that has been bent out of shape & the longer pipe & bigger head just another Ford anomaly??

Pick%20up%20Pipes%20mix.jpg

The 1.6 pick up pipe could be from an E-Max engine. I've had trouble with different parts for pinto engines as the E-Max or '1600E' as the Ford dealers quote, are quite different from the older, short stroke 1600 engines. They share the 2.0 stroke with a smaller bore but some of the ancillaries are very different!

:wacko:

As is usual with manufacturers, they will source components from a number of different suppliers, then if one has any problems, they can still produce by "upping" the order from the other supplier.

Also older engines seem to have the bigger filter on. (pennies saved going to the smaller one)

It's not a problem, use whichever you want.

Guest salty_monk

What confused me was the totally different angle of the bracket which makes the big pipe not sit flat in the bottom of the sump, it would sit at about 30-45 degrees.

The fact that one is slightly longer & bigger I could see would have virtually no effect when I lined it up (as if the bracket was bent the same as the small one).

Surely that's not normal?? :blink:

You can especially see it in the bottom pic, the heads are both placed flat, the pipes are orientated the same but look where the bolt hole on the bracket has ended up in each case...!!