Sva And Vro Documentation

Guest neil gale

Guest neil gale

Could you send me the letter anyway please.

I think photos are the only way, or remove the seat and show him.

He wants to see how they are fixed and cant, which is why he wants evidence (he said such as materials and fixing method etc but RH will be no use there i guess!!)

I would remove the seat, but taking out the tunnel and side panel is asking a bit much me thinks!!

Guest SteveL
I offered photos as proof but he said ''only if they are from the kit supplier''

I don't know how we're supposed to supply these technical drawings or photos from the kit supplier, if the kit supplier doesn't produce the mountings (the inside ones) we're using, 'cause we have to make them ourselves. Surely in this situation, we are the "maker" of this particular bit of the kit, so our own photos would suffice? :D

At this rate, it looks like I'll be printing out my whole build diary for the to read when I (eventually) go for the SVA!

Steve

Guest neil gale

Steve, John and Ant....

I just spoke to Richard about this - he says use the photo in the centre spread of the Robin Hood Catalogue they send out - the one with the order form and the locost bit at the back.

The centre photo is of the chassis and seatbelt mountings as you will see. The centre mounts can be seen from this (if that is how you did them). However, i just bolted mine through the tunnel and used a big backing plate with captive nyloc nut. The RH pic shows them mounted through the under floor strengthener, so if you did this then the pics should prove everything.

Not sure how i can prove the "through the tunnel" inner seatbelt mount?????

Neil,

are the centre seat belt mounts under the seat just bolted though the floor or through the under floor angle strengthener ? if they are mounted through something substantial then just remove the seat and take some photos of them, he just needs some proof that the seat belt anchorage points are of adequate strength. If he's still not happy with the photos then you'll have to remove the seat for him to check for himself. :(

The inner seat belt mount bolted through the tunnel isn't strong enough unless the backing plate is welded or bolted to something of substance connected to the chassis. If it's not then you'll have to use the under floor strengthener as the mounting point.

They are very hot on seat and seatbelt mounts (and rightly so) as these are for your safety.

I had to remove my boot covers for my tester to see where my upper mountings were bolted to, but he did ask if I had any photos of them first.

All in all though you did very well, only a few things to put right and you'll soon be on the road. :p

Les

Guest neil gale

Les,

Looks like i may be relocating my inner seat belt mountings this weekend then!

They are currently through the tunnel wall with a chunky 5mm thick backing plate, but this is not attached to the underfloor strengthener, and would be very fiddly to modify so it does attach to it. :o

I may have to take out the seats and bolt the harness through the underfloor strengthener (which is probably easier than what i have done) but my original harnesses were so short they didnt have enough slack to reach the floor. Since i changed them there is more than enough length!!! (typical!) :angry:

Should be simple enough to solve though.

Cheers for the advice, Neil.

Guest neil gale

One further question guys..

Do i need an MOT to get the car registered after the SVA test??

Someone at the DVLA says i need an MOT aswell as the SVA - this can't be right can it?? :ph34r:

Neil

Yes you need both befor you get registerd.

The SVA tests things like "have you used the correct rating ball joints" and "is the chassis made of the correct material" and things like that.

The MOT checks "are the ball joints warn" and "is the chassis rusted"

You could have warn tyers and still pass SVA just as long as they were of the correct rating and pumped up.

Most people get the MOT first as its the cheepest, they can MOT it on the chassis number befor its registerd.

Guest JohnS

Dont worry overly

SVA and MOT it on your chassis number, pesent all your documention to the DVLA to regester it if they then dont like the chassis number they will issue you with a new one and amend you MOT certificate, you will never see your MAC again so get a photo copy for the garage wall.

The SVA is not that scary,

And if you can build a car you can work out the burocracy. its just a pain.

soon forgoten when its on the road and you hit the Loud pedal exiting a roundabout ((sideways) its the law).

JohnS