Rear Suspension Arm

Guest DROID

Guest DROID

At Stoneleigh show at the weekend and got chatting to some builders. I was told of a modification which helps with the ground clearance issue at the rear of the car, it involves the removal of the rubber mount at each of the rear suspension arm and welding in small circular plates. I have removed one side which has now left me with a cone shaped mount. My question is, do you simply weld the plate over the hole with the benefit being the bolt will now sit inside the cone shape apperture, thus reducing the height of which the bolt will sit??

I know it was probably explained to me very clearly but when I hit the mount with my hammer the complete rubber mount came away in my hand.

Any help would be much apprciated and I hope my explanation makes sense.

Andy :huh:

• 4 months later...

Could I ask if you ever made this mod ?

I would like to reduce the amount that these useless bushes stick down.

The drive at my house drops down & they catch.

I don't want to lift my suspension cos the wheel arches look miles

away from the tyres.

If you did the mod would you let me know how or do you know anyone

that's already done this ?

Thanks

If you're referring to the great big rubber thing that sits at each end of the de-dion tube, it might interest you to know that on the DOHC kit it isn't used. Richard instructs us to simply grind it off.

This means the rear suspension is held on by three bolts - one at each trailing arm outer pivot and one at the rear of the differential... bit scary, that.

If you look at the picture, the bit where the mount was ground off is ringed.

I think what I'm trying to say is "Maybe you don't need this bit at all"... After all, this is the same as a Super Spec chassis (according to the brochure).

post-3-1063391400.jpg

Has anyone removed these fixings from a 2b, I would be interested in removing them from my car as I can not clear a speed hump that I go over (around) every Sunday, if you wish to try it for your self, head in to staunton harold car park 100yards from the friday night curry house at Donnington.

Go Slow!!!!

Daren