Zetec on bike carbs, my tuner said...

Guest Simon88

Guest Simon88

Hello, 

I am new on this forum, i live in the Netherlands am rebuilding my westfield se '92 pure for trackdays. 

I have a 2.0 zetec blacktop engine in the car (engine is oem spec besides a lighter flywheel and ARP bolts) I have zx6r carbs with a megajolt system on it. I bought this kit from chester sportscars 5 years ago. 

Last week I spoke to a car tuner because i would like to have rolling road sesion to look for more power. I don't know how much i've got now. However the man told me that bike carbs are not good for this engine and i really needed some 45 weber DCOE's. Putting bike carbs on this engine is like COPD he said...

I am struggling to believe this man because my zx6r carbs has 37mm 'chokes' and a weber has about 38mm, right? Or am I missing something here? I have a feeling that this old skool man just doesn't understand the bike carb on car engine stuff and doens't want to work on my car for that reason. 

It would be nice to have about 180 bhp as i am trying to keep the weight of the car as low as possible. Could the zx6r carbs provide this kind of power? If they are restrictive i am willing to buy something else ut i don't want to spend the money they ask for a pair of new DCOE 45's or ITB's. I know ITB's are better but i wan't to use the car for trackdays so driveabillity and fuel consumption are not important. 

What would you advise? I really like the bike carbs... 

I know there are bike carbs around with larger 'chokes' like the zx9r (40m) R1 (40mm) or even Blackbird carbs (42mm).