Chrome Wishbones 2b

Guest elgey7

Check my web site (press "WWW" button at bottom of post).

You should not attempt this with the balljoints in situ.

I removed the ball joints from the bottom wishbone and took it all to the local platers to be done. I chose the gold finish which isn't as shiny as chrome or nickel but on the other hand the preparation isn't too critical either. Cost £25 with some other bits & bobs.

You have to be careful taking the ball joints out as they're put in while the wishbone is still hot (after welding). The threaded ring is supposed to shrink onto the joint and lock it, so you might find it useful applying a blowtorch to the wishbone before removal. I would recommend getting the correct tool fo this - it should locate properly on the balljoint tabs. I used a hammer and big screwdriver and was surprised at how easy it was to take out although I have to confess one of them would not go back in all the way.

Finally a word of caution. RHE say that you should not do this as the thread can "pick up", which basically means you'll knacker the thread totally.

And while you're at it, fit some locking tabs to the assembly as they have been known to come undone as you're driving along... allegedly...

Proceed at your own risk...