Calipers

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

Just rebuilding my front brakes. I'm trying to get the piston into the caliper and locate the outer rubber seal. I've been on it for ages and cant get it together anyone got any tips?

Can I lubricate the rubber seal with vasline or would there be a risk of contaminating the brake fluid?

Guest Petemate

Alan

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when fitting new seals it is a good idea to soak them in brake fluid for 24 hrs prior to fitting. Also, when I worked at AP in Banbury MANY moons ago, we assembled all the wheel cylinders etc with the special (purple as I remember) grease which I think is still available from motor factors. Careful use of a very thin screwdriver should do.

HTH

Pete(Oldgit) :)

Guest Alan Harrison

Thanks chaps.

I was just being lazy.

I drove into town to get brake fluid.

One fitted ok!

Big problems with the second though. While I was cleaning the cailper up, the piston dissapeared as if by magic.

Luckily my daughter found it for me on a shelf in the bathroom!!!!!

Now who put that there?

Guest TerryBarry

Hi,

Don't think that Goblins or Fairies are your problem.

You've got a poltergeist :o

Or are you allowed to clean mechanical parts in the bathroom??

Cheers,

Terry

Not so much as a poltergeist more to do with age I suspect! Be careful with any lubricants other than brake fluid used on brake seals. The rubbers used which are resistant to brake fluid are not resistant to mineral oils and will swell up and go soft. This doesn't (or didn't) apply to Citroen though as they used mineral oils in their braking system.

Peter.