My Legs Are Too Short!

Guest AndyH

I am after some good advice hope I get some, I have just bought my first RH okay a second hand Series III.

The problem is the guy I bought it off was taller then me and the seating position comparied to the pedals is wrong, My legs are just not long enough.

What would be the easiest way to alter this move the seat froward?-but looking at that means I would be closer to the sterring wheel and the distance as it stands now is fine, Or do I try to move the pedals towards the rear of the car.

Any help gladly appreciated.

Andy.

:huh: now im lost,normally the floor mounted pedal type is wot tall people have and the hanging down ones are closer to the driver,im sure someone can help on this one

Guest Bob Rowell

Hi Andy, I bought a second hand Ser 3 about a year ago and had exactly the same problem. The previous owner was 5'11" but I can only manage 5'4" (if I really stretch).

An added consideration was that my two sons would drive the car, and they are 5'9" and 5'10" respectively.

The most important thing to get right first is the distance/relationship between the pedal box and steering wheel. I acheived this by moving the pedal box about 4" closer to the bulkhead. At the first attempt I only moved it 2" and it wasn't until I had fitted everything back together and driven the car for a few miles that I found myself crowding the steering wheel.

Once the pedals to wheel distance was done I fitted my seats with runners from a Fiesta. These require only minor modification and give a good range of adjustment.

The result is a car that can be driven by almost anyone without comprimising safety or comfort.

If you need any more details just send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Well i'm 5ft 7in, the car is firtted with Cobra bucket seats and when sitting in them and feeling comfortable with the sterring, I cannot floor the clutch or throttle pedal.

I would say that I could do with prob another 4-5inchs maybe.

Guest Troy Halliday

I've got the same thing with Mick's Mac#1. After 3 1/2 months the car is nearly finnished and the realisation set in the other day that because we set the car up to suit Mick (after all he paid for it) that I can not reach the pedals with any sort of comfort. Mick is quite concerned by this as I have put in so much work, but at the end of the day it's his car.

Mind you lets see him squeeze himself into my Lotus Esprit once it's fineshed being rstored :D

Got to love a man of Colin Chapmans stature he sure new how to build a car ;)

I suggest the cusion approach may not work for you as it is for me at the moment but you could always put the seat on runners. I think they cost about £20 - £25 new from Demon Cheats or you could hunt around a scrappy for suitable items. If you find that you are to close to the wheel then the rest of the Lads and Ladies here will be able to help you much better than I.

But just remeber these words of wisdom from Dudley Moore "Heaven is a 5' 4" man in a 6' womens world" always brings a smile to my face when I'm standing in a crowded pub :wub:

Guest Steve.G

Andy

Where are you - fill in the Location section of your profile.

I have a set of Cobra seat runners you could borrow and try - not worth posting compared with the cost of buying them :( but if you're local (unlikely I know) then you are free to try them.

They should use the same holes as your existing seats - I did the same but for the opposite reason (too tall) but then had to also alter the pedal positions.

Cheers

Steve G.

Guest Bob Rowell

Troy, Didn't I meet you at the Herts gathering on Sunday? you could have tried my car for size. I am a bit short in the leg, but my boys are tall. Solution was Fiesta seat runners, easy to modify and fit.

Guest lopsylu

Bob,

I've sent you a PM with my email address, I would be most grateful if you could let me have a copy of the info you sent to Andy to amend the pedal box.

It' not my son's height I have the touble with (he's only 6 months old!) but my wife. I'm 5' 6" (cubed!!) and she's 5' 10" and for some reason determined she want's to drive it once completed.

And before anyone says it, yes we do look distinctly odd next to each other.

Cheers

Graeme.

Guest Troy Halliday

I'm not to worried about it at the moment as I'm going over the car trying to find anything Mr. SVA might not like. I'm in the process of covering all the nuts and threaded bars around the front suspension. Got the front indicator lights sorted so they are the correct distance from the car. I've put tadpole trim on everything I can find that it will go on. Double checking all torque settings.

Bit of a downer I'm not sure the exhaust is gonna meet the requirements (101 dB). :boohoo: Gonna check it again once I have sealed up the join from the manifold to back box. Keep ya fingers crossed for us.

Any words of wisdom on things to check I would appreciated.