Engine Wont Fit

Guest Longman

Guest Longman

I bought a 2B/4 kit a couple of months ago and have got all the suspension and floor fotted and am now trying to fit the engine (2ltr Pinto) and it wont fit.

In between the two plates on the chasis for the engine mounts to sit is a crossmember and the sump is resting on this before the engine mounts are seated properly. The engine either needs to go down an inch down to seat on the original mounting plates or inch thick spacers need to be used which looks like they may cause the engine to hit the bonnet. Its resting on the shallow part of the sump so i cant shorten that bit because of all the crank bolts and other bits inside. One idea was to move the chasis crossmember further forward by grinding and welding but this seems a bit drastic. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheerz

Any piccy

Don't cut the 38mm tubes unless you really know what you are doing...

Sounds like you need to move the engine back a bit...or there is something wrong with the chassis :boohoo:

Dave

Tim beat me to it :boohoo:

Edited by daveg

Do you have a 4 or 5 speed box?

You have to cut the angle bit if its 5 speed to get the engine back enough

Its a looong time since I fitted my engine

Dave

PS....before Jim say it...put your location in your profile, that way if you are down the road from me, you can see how I did it :rolleyes:

Have you removed the Alloy parts that go between the block and the engine mounts?

I believe that if you fit these to the opposite sides this will hold the engine either further forward or further back.

just a thought.

Guest chris brown

As Dave with a G says it sounds like the engine has to go back if I remember correctly the first video shows the cutting of the chassis at the gearbox mount if fitting a 5 speed box

Guest gordon_macnab

I would say it's probably the engine mounins that are on the wrong side, they should be facinfg forward as in the pic. one other check is to see if the gearbox mountings line up.

The only mention of cutting in the videos is for trimming of the floor, there is no requirement to cut the chassis at any point for any reason.

Gordon

i am sure i had to shorten the gearbox mounting bit of angle iron on mine

mind you was a long long time ago!

should be plently of room on the sump as when i shortened mine i exteneded mine into the shallow part, making it deeper at that end

dave

Guest TerryBarry

On my chassis (June '02) the five speed gearbox would have fitted without removing any metal. However I did cut off an approximate 35mm triangle to give it a decent bit of clearance if the engine / gearbox rocked on it's mountings.

In this picture I cut off a bit less than the amount of chassis sticking out from under the floor.

In the pic the chassis is upside down

The guys at Blackburn college had this trouble. Jim looked at it I believe but the course disappeared so the car was handed to another department to finish and my course didn't run in the second year so I go to Preston now.

Not a lot of help I know but now you know it isn't unique.

Iain