Springs

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

I stripped my donor last year and painted everything nice and shiney. The problem is, now, I can't remember which are the front springs and which are the back, One set of springs is much lighter than the other and they are tapered at the top! err,,,,,,, bottom. My logic told me that the heavy springs came from the front of the Sierra as they had to support the weight of the engine. So I've fitted the light weight (rear) spring and boy is it bouncey. In comparison my wishbone front end is really firm. I know the rear dampers will slow the bounce but I'd like some reassurance that I've used the right springs before I go much further with the build.

Guest TerryBarry

Alan,

The rear springs off my donor Sierra were parallel

The approx dimensions are:

Length 31 cm

Diameter 13 cm

Wire diameter 14 mm.

HTH

Terry

Guest Alan Harrison

Hmm! thanks for your help chaps. Looks like I might have dropped a clanger. I think what made me go for the tapered springs is that the cup thingeys that go into the ends of the roll bar fitted the tapered springs. I'll have to try and work out if I can make the big springs fit these cups. I'm up at the show on Sunday so I'll have a root around the 2b's there to make sure I do it right :rolleyes:

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Alan,

Sounds like the front McPherson struts had been replaced on your Sierra by after-market non-Ford parts.

The original Ford ones do not have tapered springs.

My donor had replacement "Boge" struts with tapered springs - looked fairly new - no use to me as I've got [for my sins] the RHE coilover units - I passed them on to another builder who thought he had a use for them

From your comments I assume you are going to Stafford.

Ask around the RHOCaR owners/builders there - I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

You may need a trip to your friendly scrappy to get a couple of Ford units.

Cheers

Terry