Polo Heater Wiring

Guest jetskijase

Guest jetskijase

HI All

Just cleaning up my polo heater assemblie and wanted to test it, so i put a wire from neg to the brown on the motor and a lead from pos to yellow and it spins but nothing from the other two wire's. what am i doing wrong. :unsure: :unsure:

also how do i wire up the folowing please;

FAN/MOTOR

yellow -

brown -

yellow/black -

white -

SWITCH

Black/grey+black/red -

white/black -

yellow -

yellow/black -

Thanks

Jase

If it spins, then its not knackered, so dont worry about that. As to the wiring, i'm not sure because i used the polo switch and transplanted the whole thing over - basically the 2 wires i had left were earth and live.

Guest jetskijase

ih007

I have both polo switch and motor, i snipped the cables when i removed them from the polo.

Shall i just connect the two together and what''s left is live and earth?

Cheers

Jase

Guest jetskijase

There look's to be a block with wire wrapped round it and a doide? by the motor, if i connect two of the wires to batt it spins up, but the other two wires which go through this block, ( the other two speeds i presume) nothing happens when connected to the batt.

Any idea's anyone, i dont want to fit it if i can only get one speed :( :unsure:

Jase

Guest Battery Bill

Jase

As you know we have used the Polo heater But I cant remember any problems in wiring up the fan! We have used a 3 way switch from an Autojumble (God knows what its off) but we had no problems wiring it together to get the variable speed fan.

Just use a Multimeter on continuity and work out which is your earth on the switch, then work out the fast and slower contacts, Then using a 12 volt battery connect the fan I think the brown will be earth and then connect the others one by one and

they should work :wacko: at different speeds.

Sorry I cannot be more help but our Scuttle is fitted at the moment so I can't see the wiring but I dont recall any problems with this stage!

Guest TerryBarry

Most of these heater units use a big wirewound resistor in series to get the three speeds - probably what you describe as the block with wire wrapped round it

The resistor normally has a centre connection

Thus the power is fed via

The full resistor - slow speed

Half the resistor - medium speed

No resistor - full speed

They can suffer from the resistor burning out or poor contacts to the resistor.

I'm using the Sierra unit which has the same system - but I don't know the colour code for a Polo.

A SEAT (Part of VAG) Ibiza uses the code

Earth - Brown

Speed 1 Yellow

Speed 2 Black / White

Speed 3 Black / Yellow

Speed 4 White

Well it would have a four speed fan :wacko:

This maybe of some help

Guest jetskijase

That's great Terry, it is the resistor,the wire looks intact but a bit green and corroded, might go and see if i can get another from the scrappy's.

cheers

Jase

I cant remember exactly how i did it, but connecting up all the matching colours and having earth and live left over sounds like exactly the kind of thing i'd do, so give it a try with the new resistor. If still no joy, let me know and i'll untape the wiring loom and see what i can find.

Ok, looking at the connections, there are 3 that come off the "block" these are the fan speeds. looking at the piccy below, the one with nothing connected is "slow speed" the one with the blue wire on is the "middle" or 2nd speed, and the one right to the r/h side is "full" or quickest speed. The connector 2nd from the right with the black wire to, is the earth. the resistor wire "lappings" around the block, can corrode & fail, this will make either the slow, or both slow & mid not work, but the fast speed should, as it's direct to the motor.

post-8-1099214682.jpg

Guest captn Pugwash

:boohoo: Jase

I have the same problem, when I asked at the local vw main agent they said if you cannot get any other spped settings on the resister type wire wound block, then its knackered. The white block in my case is supposed to give a resistance to slow the motor down.

Just run in on full, that will clear the window. Ive tried mine like jim shows in the picture, big flash and a new fuse need :boohoo:

Captn

Guest jetskijase

:boohoo: :boohoo: well got another resisitor block from scrappys and is the same. Looking at jim's pic, i have what looks like a diode between the black(brown on mine) and the red on the right, it meters out ok, ( one way) but can only get full speed still, neg to brown pos to red and it runs.

Might giv a volks garage a call.

Jase

Guest jetskijase

Mr volkswagon said reostat block , mr parts depot said £22 plus vat i said one speed it is then :p

If anyone's in a scrappys by a polo could you rip one out for me ,thanks :D

Jase