Alloys

Guest neil gale

Guest neil gale

I have the original ford pepperpots on at the moment

Am hoping to get some nice alloys as soon as shes SVA'd, but the question is..

What size to get???

15's would fit well, but i reckon even 16's with low prfile tyres but will this ruin the ride??

RH supplied ones are 7.5j 15's but i didnt like the style, i want some multispoke to look the part!

I have the standard cycle wings, so can go to 205 maximum width i think, anymore and the cycle wings wont fit.

What do you suggest??????????

You take your choice! the lower the profile, the harder the ride, as the tyres on our cars act as past of the suspension (that's why we run them at 17 - 25 lb) And again, one type of suspension will act differently to another. ie, sierra springs / coil overs. It's up to you! unless you can try someone else's with the same suspension set up to get an idea.

Not much help, but that's Robin hood ownership!

Neil,

When I ordered my kit I had the opional wider wheel arches and cycle wings.

I have got 195's on the front at the moment and they sit quite nicely under my cycle wing. I could go to 205's and they would just about fit, as you have standard ones I would have thought that 195's is the one to got for.

On some cars I have seen they have had to take a bite out of the cycle wing on the inside to clear the wing tube so they cover the outside of the tyre.

If you go for 16's you'll have less tyre wall to bounce on, and as Jim said,

the lower tyre pressure is part of the suspension.

Les

I've just gone from original sierra steel wheels with std tyres to 14 inch pepperpots with lower profile tyres (couldn't refuse five refurbed wheels with brand new tyres for £75) and I recken the ride is less good. Possibly better performing if it was a race car but more jittery and harder ride.

Guest neil gale

Thanks guys,

I figured that 15's would be the ones to go for, its just looks-wise the 16's would fill the wheel space much better, and look more akin to the Dax cars (which IMPO look the business with 16 and 17 inch wheels) but obviously they have a different suspension set up and are new wishbones etc etc.

Its a pity you cant take wheels and tyres for a 10 mile test before you buy them, then i could find which ones gave the best ride!!

Les, I have 195 tyres on my 14inch sierra rims, and they are a bit skinny for the cycle wings - perhaps i got wider ones by mistake?? I have measured a mates 17 inch alloys which have 205 tyres and they seem to fit nicely (width wise), so if anything 205 15's will be slightly narrower, so i think 205 will be the end choice...provisionally...!

Also, what offset of alloys do we need??

I guess 15 x 7.5 is the alloy size, but i dont know the offset??

Cheers, Neil.

Neil,

that cycle wing does seem wide in comparison to the 195 tyre.

Mine are 235mm from edge to edge and that's the RH supplied wide arch.

The offset on mine are 38 and the tyre sits quite nicely under the wing.

The cycle wing support tube takes up a bit of the space you have under the wing and of course you don't want the inside wall of the tyre rubbing against it.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnS

Neil

If you want multi spoke have a look at OZ Superleggera (12 spoke)

Ive just picked mine up and they are the puppys

Code 1566201

j7 x 15

ET37

PCD 108mm

Center bore 63.40

And only 60 Euros each (sorry cant get any more at that price)

All i need now is some sexy rubber

Oh and some locking wheel nuts

JohnS

Guest Mr Pid

I to went for the wider cycle wing option with the view to fitting alloys.

I eventually found some very nice league five spoke wheels and also having a peugot offset means that i can fit them comfortably without the need for spacers and they stil clear the suspension fine.

The wider track also gives for better handling (based on standard offset of ford wheels on my RS Turbo and the improved handling when these were fitted) so hopefully this will extend to the hood when its on the road.

I think chunkier wheels look better as you dont want the car to look to fragile.

Have fun

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest neil gale

Guys

Looks like i got some wide front arches by mistake then.

Measured mine at 235mm edge to edge, but i certainly didnt order them, never mind eh??

Am hoping to fit some 16 inch 205/45 or maybe even 215, as long as the back doesnt look silly.

Im guessing i didnt get the wide rear arches, but what should the dimension be for them from inside to outside at top of wing???

Cheers, Neil.

Neil,

I had the wide option front and rear.

The rears measuring across the top are 205mm from the chassis tube to the edge of the stainless and 255mm to the edge of the fibreglass (depends how much of the fibreglass arch you put under the stainless).

I've got plenty of room on the back though with 195's on, so I could fit something a lot wider.

Les

Guest nickinguk

neil

you dont want to fit too wider a tyre on the front as this could hamper the cars performance as the car isnt heavy enough to benefit from too wider a tyre and wont generate enough heat and therefore grip- so my tyre expert has told me!, 195 to 205 seems to be the way to go front n rear and they're cheaper to replace !!!:rolleyes: