Engine Fit

Guest Nishka

Hi Guys

Just a quick question; Has anybody fitted or know of anyone who has fitted a straight six cylinder engine in a Hood? :huh: :blink:

A friend of mine has asked if it is possoble, not sure what engine he is thinking of. I told him anything is 'possible'. :D :lol:

Cheers

Nishka

Guest Andy Hamilton

you will find all (I think) straight sixes mounted exactly the same as the pinto. i.e North-south, giving rear wheel drive. Most of these are found in BMW's

Nice engines, chew cams a bit, similar to pinto's in fact. Would be nice to see one in a hood!

Guest salty_monk

Better go for a V6 then... what about the Alfa Flat four?? That's a good engine & you should be able to get it to run RWD as there are 4WD variants... my mate had a 33 Permanent four, only 1.6 but around 140bhp & revs to about 8,500, no power low down but like a rocket when you wound it up...

Guest gordon_macnab
what about the Alfa Flat four??

Aaaahh put's a chill down my spine. Have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks with an 1.7 Alfa boxer engine with 1 broken timing belt. engine out job to fix. (still ran on other 2 cylinders though)

That engine is very wide and I don't think it would fit in a hood and after a close encounter with Alfa engineering I would give it a wide berth.

Gordon

Like Tim says an inline or straight six would be too long. A flat or opposed engine is too wide. A V6 or V8 is not bad for length (usually only fractionally longer than an inline engine with half as many cylinders) but they tend to be wide at the top so interfere with things like brake servos and pedals. I have an Essex V6 going together at the moment if anyone wants measurements and once it's fitted and run-in the one it's replacing will be surplus (anyone got a cruise ship they need to hold still).

Iain