Gauges

Grizzly

Guest Bob Rowell

I'm with Russler on this. I bought my gauges from Lowtension in one of their EBay auctions. They were very helpful, let me change a couple of items in the sale package, and gave excellent back-up.

I got my Smiths (Caerbont Automotive International - CAI) Telemetrix gauges from Europa but that was some time ago and I suspect there are cheaper sources nowadays. www.greengauges have a nifty feature where you can pick and choose colours and styles for dials, bezels and pointers.

Iain

• 3 months later...
Guest Jim Castle

Hi Folks,

Just invested in a set of lowtension VDO gauges. Wondering how you converted the fuel gauge sender fitting ? How do you combine the fuel pipe & return with the VDO sender unit?

rgds

Jim C

Guest Steve Allen

Jim

I have the same problem, you will need to purchase the VDO fuel sender (£50) not cheap. the VDO gauges work the opposite way around to a Ford sender, Empty showing full, full showing empty. I was planning to take out the Ford sender replace with the VDO (required is a smaller blanking plate due to the hole being smaller) then have a outlet pipe welded to the bottom of the tank, other option is just leave the Ford sender in so that you can at least use the outlet pipe and then cut a new hole for the new sender. The senders are totally adjustable.

As stated Lowtension sell VDO and the service is great (Ask for Brian)

Steve

Guest Cantbearsed

Why not just re-face the gauge? I know of an old mini van which reads full when empty etc, and the owner treats it as an air gauge. When the tank is "full" of air, it's empty! :lol: :lol:

Can you not ease off the front and erase the E & F marking and just re-write them in reverse? Only a couple of small decals and a bit of patience required...

Consider a set of Dolomite or Spitfire gauges.

They

- look classic

- speedo has correct calibration and fits the Sierra cable (with minor mods)

- rev counter is electronic so no problem there

- only issue is temp & fuel gauges which can be got around with a little jiggery pokery

And finally, you can always get a set off eBay, they usually go for £15 - ish, and come with the attractive pie segment display (which has all the warning lights in it).

Guest Jim Castle

Steve,

Thanks. I already have the VDO gauges and fuel sender. looks like a bit of lateral thinking required. I want to transfer the gauges if I sell the 2b so will need to retain the old set up. I have spare sierra sender so might attempt to adapt it.

Half way through installing the VDO gauges and they look great.

rgds

Jim C

Thanks for all your replies guys,

You certainly are a helpfull bunch. I haven't got around to even laying a spanner on my car yet (won't be too long now though) and you're all giving me some good ideas. On the guages front I think I'm going to try eBay for some Capri Clocks.

Thanks again. No doubt I'll be posing some more questions in the near future...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Drew,

Ooops! I've not logged in for a while. If you still have the gauges, I may be interested. I do need a connecting plug though (maybe I could get one from somewhere else eh?).

Any pics? Let me know.

Thanks...

Guest Jim Castle

Sorry for butting in but I have two sets of capri gauges for a 4 cyl which I no longer require having fitted a set of VDO gauges. One set has the wiring plug and some wires but has a nick in the printed loom on the back. I therefore bought a second set off e-bay but without the plug. I also sourced a white top temperature sender to work with the gauges. Both sets of gauges are in excellent condition.

I also purchased a set of chrome bezels (2 large and 4x 52mm) to make up a set of gauge surrounds, these alone cost £34 from stafford vehicle components.

Would be happy to let go for:

2 x gauges plus temp sender £20 plus p&p

chrome bezels £20 plus p&p

regards

Jim C