Sva..........pass!

Guest Taffy Rob

Guest Taffy Rob

Well, blimey, its only gone and passed!!! :D There was a bit of an adventure on the way when the petrol stations patented 'do not overfill your car' technology failed me and the car widdled petrol all over the floor, and then I got caught in a tropical storm (no hood, no screen, just a lid), but it was all worth it. The tester is my new bestest friend, and luckily the speedo cable didnt fall out again until the way back. :p

I now have a sparkly new set of number plates along with a tax disk for me to fit tonight, so I can be on the road for the bank holiday weekend with a bit of slap-dash wnidscreen fitting. Although Ive noticed that since Ive got the mac, the list of jobs to do has doubled in size? :blink:

Cheers everyone for the help and support, and me and the hood (Talulah) will see you soon!!!! :D

Rob

Guest Taffy Rob

Cheers guys.

Ant, the self centering was my biggest problem of the whole build - a real nightmare. I was confident Id got the set up correct, but it just wouldn't have it. I straightened out the UJ angles by jiggling the steering rack and shaft around, greased everything in sight, and eventually took it to my mates garage who was also at a loss.

Eventually he suggested that we set the toe, which had been to 1-2 degrees in, to dead parallel, just to see if it would make a difference, as it was easy to change and he couldnt see what else could be a problem. And hey presto it self centered (a bit). So I pumped up the tyres to an impressive (and uncomfortable) 35 psi to get the most out of it, it wasn't great but the tester was impressed we'd managed to get such a difference, so passed it anyway.

Rob

Guest neil gale

Well done mate, congrats.

I was amazed my self centering passed, the sva man said had i got it all set up properly and measured, i said nope just did it by eye! ha ha, he laughed and said it was just enough to pass ;)

Failed for a few niggly bits so off back to the garage with lots of cable wrap and ties, and to sort Richard out for some documentary evidence on design weights and harness mounts

PS - does anyone have a headed design weight letter i could copy??

Guest Andy Hamilton

Well done Rob, and Talulah of course!

You do realise that as you are the latest to pass, all of us 'builders' will be looking to you for advice and inspiration!

just a million post SVA mods now hey?

Congrats again :D

Guest Julian B

Well done Rob, Talulah Talulah

That's great news well done .... Now all you need is some fine sunny weather :blink: . Still whilst your waiting at least it will you a chance to re-grow the missing skin on your knuckles after the build. ;)

Guest Taffy Rob

Re: the weights letter, I can now exclusively reveal that following Richard's refusal to issue one, I created one myself on the pc, no questions were asked so I suggest you do the same!

The bottom ball joint, well there is an issue all in itself. I checked mine before going to the centre on tuesday, and just as well. Where the balljoint is screwed into the wishbone was fine, but the nylock had loosened itself - it was still tight to turn by hand but it did up another 1.5 turns. The top ones (into the dummy strut) had worked much looser and on one side the nylon insert was actually clear of the thread - very glad I checked these. Not as if they're terribley accessable either. I intend keeping an eye out, adding locking washers, and thread lock as well.