Opinions Required On Value Of My 3a

Guest Steve Allen

Guest Steve Allen

Hi All, looking for advise and tour opinion on what my 3A could be worth, due to curcamstances it may have to go but at what price. i would like to say that she was built with performace and quiality in mind, I have a full build history and 90% of the receipts (10% being the cash parts bought) I have spent well over £8k and the 800 hours it took to get it spot on. details are Model RH 3A. SVA'd April 2004.

just over 1000 miles since the build.

spec: Full weather Gear as new, red and silver.odessey seats. Willian seatbelts. good dash. 5 spoke x 15" 100+ alloys All new 195 tyres. all brake components new as supplied with the 3A kit (kit was £3500 alone) now under the bonnet:

2.1 pinto (205 Block) fully re-built, high pressure oil pump. new pistons, Flywheel lightened and balanced. all clutch components, race spec head gasket. Group 1 Head (higher than stage 3) Crossed drilled RL22 Cam, Ported, Polished with big valves, twin brand new 45's (may change to the original 40's if she sold) Vernier pulley. Full engine breating system: Head to tank-tank to sump. Block to Tank then to atmosphere. New red top fuel pump. Oil cooler, New Aldon Illumination Dizzy. all new race plugs, leads and coil. all hoses Samco. Thermostatically controlled electric fan. wunoff exhaust system. shortened sump. (cant think of anything else you could do to improve a Pinto.) Nearly forgotnad sorry for the long post. all the chassis problems with 3A were addressed on the build. this car will be known to some from the shows (Big Jim included) so what do you think Gentlemen. any advise more than welcome

post-12-1105385629.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steve Allen

few more opinions would be good so I can try and gauge and average. would be gutted if it was only worth £4500 though. will keep adding a picture when i reply

Keep the views coming please.

Steve

;) if it was for sale now at this time of year i think 4500-4750 is about right but if its put up for sale at a kit car show on a sunny day im sure youd get 5500 ish

these cars are worth more when the sun shines

Guest Steve Allen

Understand this time of year is a bad time to sell, but there must be a difference in value between cars built purely from donors and those who have built to a much higher spec using new or re-conditioned parts. other makes of 7 seem to bring better money so how do you get the value of a hood were it should be. ?

Steve,

How much do you want to get back on it?

I'd guess that £5500 would be about right at the moment.

Hoods are at the cheap & cheerful end of the market, they will never

achieve the same sort of prices that Caterhams, Westfields & Dax's can command,

even if they are built to similar specs using new or recon parts. Just public perception unfortunately.

My 2B is well finished (IHMO!!) using all new or recon parts & cost me around 5k. 1K was just for the engine. I still wouldnt expect to get more than £4500 for it.

I'm about to spend £2k installing a Vauxhall lump, but I would only expect to get back about half of that if I sold the car....which I wont....the kids would go first!!

But Ive had about £10K's worth of fun from it over the past 3 years, so I reckon anything I get back is a bonus.

Take a look at some of the online sites & the various kitcar magazines for some more sample prices.

Cheers, Bob.

;) if you scour e-bay, find it,and kitcar mags a average price is between what i said for a pinto powerd car,if it had a more modern engine such as a vauxhall xe the price would be higher,a car is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay

you have all the bits people want ie a hood/side screens etc,people (wrongly in my opinion)view the robin hood as a entry level ownership of a seven style car,they need educating you build a robin hood not assemble one,

as such they are purchased second hand cheeper than others(with a few exeptions i agree)

just my opinion,i truly dont wish to upset or insult

andy

Guest micky bigthumbs

I bought my 3a 6 months ago not a patch on yours..well worth £5000 + but hang on to first sunshine breaks or shows, when all the hoods are out there, polished up and poesing it should go for more.

Mick

Guest lardy-fatboy

dont worry about the time of if its what somebodys looking for then they will pay the asking price.there are some cars that arnt worth half what there advertised at then theres the odd gem :D and your looks good.trust me i paid £4350 but would have paid £5000 :boohoo: if needed but hey i didnt :D

good luck eitherway

duncan

p.s £4500-£5000 i would say

Guest alan rowe

very interesting reading through this thread - my Hood is a bit different cause of the engine and its all one colour (yellow and I like it) - what do you guys think realistically that it is worth - there was a posting a while ago when I gave all the details but I've got no idea how to link it - photo is on the "gallery"

peoples comments would be appreciated

Alan

Guest salty_monk

Not a huge amount more I would say.. unfortunately that is the "stigma" associated with hoods! (remember the custom painted V8 on Ebay??)

(This Chepa & low quality stigma is basically instigated by RHSC themselves as they parade round as the cheap option which means people expect them to be cheap second hand too, this would be ok if they didn't get slated everywhere sevens are mentioned!! In my opinion RHSC needs to do a lot more marketing work to improve their image of quality which is very poor rather than always playing on price 100% of the time, they also need to make sure stuff works before putting it out the door & make sure components are at least of a reasonable quality, as I am well aware (all these things come into the remit of what I do...) this is much easier said than done!!)

You might find someone better educated that would pay more, as ever something is only worth what someone will pay for it... my personal philosophy with the hood is to keep it cheap & cheerful to prevent any real depreciation in value but each to their own....