Superspec Instruments

Guest Build-it

Guest Build-it

The Superspec instrument cluster is proving a complete waste, there's a surprise. Tacho not working, fuel gage works in reverse, speedo not accurate and the look is generally not appreciated by me. RHSC say we should get the car thorough the SVA test using the supplied instruments and then change but I intend to create a whole new flat dash-board, which will allow plenty of room for after market gages etc.

I intend to buy all new instruments and wonder if anybody can help in terms of my hope to be able to use the sender units already on the Rover engine (also which is which to save me tracing the leads) and the Ford fuel tank for say the oil pressure and temp, water temp, volts and fuel. The tacho will hopefully be able to work from the coil and the speedo from either the take off on the side of the gearbox or a new sender say on the prop shaft or rear drive shaft. Your help will be appreciated in addition as to what are the best and/or most economic gages to buy bearing in mind they must be new and suitable for the SVA.

Guest gordon_macnab

Lowtension sell some complete kits of VDO instruments that come will all sensors. I bought a set and am happy enough with them. They sell online or sometimes direct on Ebay for less. The kit has revcounter, electronic speedo, fuel gauge, water temp and oil pressure.

They may not look as fancy as some of the other aftermarket gauge you can but in various colours and finishes but are a lot cheaper.

http://www.lowtension.co.uk/ £299.99 but usually on ebay for up to £100 less

Cheers

Gordon

Build -it

If your instuments do not work as they should and have been supplied with the kit you must surely have some redress from robin hood as under the sale of goods act they "Are not fit for purpose"

This is how I see it .Unless someone knows better

Swan

The Mk 4 fieata instrument cluster as supplied by RHSC is a problem. The speed is pretty accurate if used with the grey speedo gear and not the yellow one supplied. The tacho is being sorted according to RHSC, but that has been the case for months. My fuel gauge works in reverse too but I've got used to that! I'm also on my third speedo cable as the radiouses from the gearbox and the head are too tight. I have to agree with build it that afte rmarket gauges are probably the way forward.

RHSC state that the supplied dials should be used for SVa and that the ECU could be damaged by adding different gauges. Frankly, if the rev counter comes from the coil as most after market tachos do, then no probs. An electronic speedo is going to be more accurate and longer lasting. As for the fuel gauge, I don't forsee a problem as they are often quoted with a resisatance range, likewise the temperature gauge shouldn't be a problem.

I intend to replace my dash as soon as I can afford a complete matching set!!

Guest Wrighty

G,day,

im with swan and salty

The only guage thats works on my cluster is the fuel guage and yes thats in reverse!

Temp Guage doesnt work, rev counter is non existant and the speedo is way off.

AS RH have stated in their recent letters that the cluster is a problem their working on, doent it mean they have to provide one of the following ?

A workable fix (that doesnt involve soldering irons, superglue & a bodge?

A replacement unit for the cluster that is compatible and up to the job?

A refund on the whole kit as not fit for the purpose its bought for?

Not normally one to moan but i didnt pay 8k for a bag of bolts...... :angry:

I believe it was last septmeber when the problem was recognised?

Guess i will just keep badgering RH for a fix....

Guest Build-it

Many thanks lads. Looks like I've kicked off quite a stir over the kit contents eh ? you all seem to share my views but we do need to keep RHSC on side, not worth the argument I have found.

With regard to the sender units I was hoping to be able to use the ones on the engine for say the water temp and oil pressure, as you say the speedo and tacho should have no effect on the ECU and I don't believe the fuel gage has any contact with the ECU so I'm safe there.

My flat panel (Ally with thin ply backing) is nearing completion and provides much more scope for the new gauges, switches and a glove box maybe, also a radio/CD after the SVA and registration. it has allowed me to create a neat 19mm rad at the bottom of the panel as a one piece unit so the "leather cloth" RHSC supply will have a neat appearance. I will use the after market gauges for the SVA, cant wait for RHSC for ever.

Wrighty

Your speedo will read fine with the grey drive gear. I have the part number if you need it. The temp gauge should be fine if you have connected the sensor, mine works no probs. The fuel gauge is an enigma but not a major issue and believe me you get used to it! The rev counter is a different issue :wacko: :gdit:

Guest Wrighty

Hi Dredd,

Part number for the speedo drive would be great if you could pass it on,

As for the temp gauge, sensor is on but no one home. I`l check me wiring! :wacko:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

:D hi Dredd

wouldn't mind the part No for that speedo gear although I don't fancy taking that circlip out again, one of the fiddleist jobs so far,

I am also totally p""""ed off with my gauges not working althouhg there only going to be tempory they are really not good enough, I really don't mind changing them later on but I think RH should have supplied something that at least works for now, :angry: :angry: :angry: