Ignition Switch Position

Guest mkeats02

Guest mkeats02

Have purchased a new ignition switch, as the sierra column ignition switch broke. I have to mount this in the dash, I have an idea of where to put it see attached picture, would this be ok? Also due to the sierra column switch breaking I have no steering lock, so it a battery cut off switch suffiecient enough for secruity for the SVA test? ANy ideas where I should mount it? I thought about the firewall wall so it can only be accessed with the bonnet open. Cheers Mike

post-9-1106410612.jpg

Guest chris brown

Wherever you put it, it will have to work thro the sierra one as a steering lock (or g/box like Saab and Smart) is mandatory and the car must not be able to be started with the lock on

battery cut off switch suffiecient enough for secruity for the SVA test
Sorry no it isnt

Guest salty_monk

Didn't think the SVA said you had to have a steering lock, just two fixed means of disabling the car (i.e. ignition & steering lock) but maybe (probably) wrong...

Surely then if you have some other way like an immobiliser, key switch earthing out the coil, key switch cutting out an electric fuel pump or cutting out full electrics that should be enough?? Don't think they'd accept one of those "race" bred cut out switches though, you can turn those on with a twig, pencil, key, anything really...

Guest chris brown

There has to be two methods of immobilising the car one of which must be mechanical hence steering lock the second is normally the ignition key which must be connected in such a way so as the engine cannot be started and the car put in motion with the mechanical lock still in place. Any other devices i.e. battery cut out switch or immobiliser is not part of the SVA.

Guest mkeats02

Check, in addition to the normal “ignition” switch,

the vehicle is permanently fitted with an anti-theft

device that can be activated to prevent the vehicle

being driven or moved under its own power.

The device may be mechanical, electrical or

electronic or a combination of these.

Will have to contact them to find out what is acceptable! Something electronic or electric will be fine, doesn't have to be mechanical, I still have the original igntion barrel in the car, it is just a case of the key not being able to turn, meaning the steering lock is inactive. The Lock should be on with no key in buy my wheels turn. Don't really know what happen to it!

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Mike,

If you can turn the key to the I position, then it is possible to extract the lock barrel.

There is a little spring clip on the lock body which you depress and the barrel can be removed by pulling on the key.

If you have the Haynes manual this is covered in section 13.4

When you say "as the sierra column ignition switch broke" what exactly do you mean ?

One possible solution is to get another steering column from a scrappy - the problem there is to find one with the key in it

Guest mkeats02

Did think about the scrappy, but like you say, finding one with a key is the issue.

When I put the key in it won't turn at all, ignition is at 0, but I can't understand why the wheels aren't locked!!

Might forget the battery cut-off switch, and look into an imobilser, if they are accepted.

Mike

Guest chris brown

Mike if you can get the lock barrel out then strip it and remove the offending tumblers or get another one these locks are renown for jamming up when they get older if you remove the tumblers then you can wire in your new switch so as you have to unlock the steering before your new dash mounted switch will work

Guest TerryBarry

Mike,

Another question - do you have the Sierra steering wheel fitted.

The steering lock can be a bit dodgy with the Mountney boss - some of these need a bit of filing to fit and work correctly.

The lock barrel will not remove unless you can get the key to the I position.

I have found that these locks can give problems but this seems to be down to wear on the key.

My Sierra donor came with two keys - both opened the doors but one was difficult in the tailgate and impossible in the ignition.

I now have three keys one doesn't work in the ignition, the second does but is temperamental, the third (new from local Ford dealer) works with silky smoothness.

The SVA manual does seem vague - you will need to contact your local centre to check their interpretation. Before going down the Thatcham rated system road, it might be worth checking the Ford price for a new switch/lock assembly.

Guest tez_hall

has anyone got a definitive answer on the mechanical imobilisation / steering lock issue...?

I got my kit part built and the housing for the steering clock has been gound away... i dont really want to have to source a new steering column assembly if i dont have too :(

steering locks can generally be broken with a bit of force anyway...

I do have a battery switch as well as a dash mounted ignition

Cheers

Tez