Screen Pillars

Guest Simon M

Guest Simon M

Judging by the surface rust accumulated on my windscreen pillars, since collecting my 2B, I assume they are not stainless, I was wondering how to maintain a finish on them?

Is it necessary to paint them, or perhaps apply a clear lacquer?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Simon

Simon,

I spayed mine with over thinned Black Hammerrite. Initially I was pleased with the finish but 12 months on the paint is getting marked and scratched from putting the side screens on & off.

I think I have seen some posts re Stainless Steel pilars that would probably be a good option.

Richard

Whatever you fit make sure you radius the outside edges front and back, top and bottom, and around the triangle. This was an SVA fail point for me. Best to do them before painting them.

Ant

Guest essex

I just bought a car with out a windscreen, hence need to fit one (that came supplied) - i am yet to find out how much - but i was thinking about croming them - dont know if thats excessive - be a shame if they dont shine as much as the rest of the car though.

Guest mickmellors

As Bob has already suggested - contact RS Jigtec and speak to Bob - different Bob !

£25 was the Show offer price - normally £32 plus P+P if I remember correctly.

They lent me a set to show on the Club Stand at Stafford and there was a keen interest from the Boys. That set was a tad thin in my opinion (2.5mm). My concern was not strength but appearance - I think 3.5mm would look a lot better and would take a better edge radius, and would of course be stronger.

They will laser cut (fantastic) a set in whatever material and thickness you desire and assuming that you, and they, are going to Newark Show you will save the postage by asking if you can collect from them at the Show.

If you are wanting a mirror finish they will make a set out of a suitable grade stainless otherwise it comes as a slightly dull finish.

RS Jigtec have offered to help out any RHOCaR member with machining, welding, bending, fabrication jobs, no matter how small to quote them - ring them and tell them what you need.

I was very impressed with their friendly approach to the little guy needing help and NO I am not on commission !

Mick M

Just to add to Mick's reply,

Bob (the other one) can also polish them for you and drill the two fixing holes...dunno the cost.

But you can use 800 then 1000 or 1200 wet & dry lubricated with Brasso or similar

followed by Solvol Autosol to get a mirror finish.

Or buy a polishing kit at the shows...

Theres a piccy of my pillars on the Yahoo Photos site as follows....

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/robin...rc=gr%26.view=t

Cheers, Bob T.