Sump

Guest ross

Guest ross

upon fitting the engine and gearbox i have found that the sump is touching the chassis at the front. Is it normal to have to raise the engine, the mounts seem ok not to soft.The sump fitted is an alluminuim one from an rs any ideas

cheers ross

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Ross,

I'm assuming that you are building a 2B

I've got the same set up ( RS2000 alloy sump) and I've got about 2 cm clearance between sump and chassis tube at the closest point. That's on the loop bit

Here's a piccy

I can take some other dimensions if you want.

HTH

Terry

Guest daveg

Ross

How have you mounted the gearbox mount?

It needs to go under the floor, this would have the effect of raising the front of your engine...

Dave

Guest ross

thanks guys yea i have the gearbox mount between the floor and chassis so i take it this is wrong then and it should go under the floor completey.

ross

Guest daveg

Ross

Yep, the mount goes under the car...remember the video where they make a lot of fuss about wearing goggles while drilling under the car ;)

Dave

PS I bet you didn't have the prop shaft in otherwise you would have been shocked at the angle, don't ask how I know this :p

Guest ross

the prop looks quit straight so i must have it in the wrong position then will have a look later the other half is making me decorate at the moment great fun!!!

cheers ross

• 3 weeks later...

im building a sub k and i have found that the sump is hitting my chasis even with the gearbox plate at the bottom :(

:(

:(

can anyone help ?

things were just starting to go well to!!!!

Guest piddy

Hi.

There are two alloy parts that bolt onto the mounts you mention and to the side of the engine. These are handed you could try them on the other sides.

Piddy.

Hi All,

I have the same car as you, my sump hit on the same bar. I put washers between the mounts and the chassis, then some more between the mounts and the engine brackets. this did the trick as the engine now rocks on it's rubbers.

I only just have enough thred to go into the locking part of the lock nuts top and bottem though.

Guest johnboymac

guy, that may not be enough thread - I think you need something like two threads showing.

I am also building a subk, and the sump rests on the bar. Its my intention to pack with washers, but have not yet got round to doing this.

John