Ground clearance

Guest paul thompson

Guest paul thompson

Hi,

I am having trouble with the ride height of my wishboned 2B. I have about 4 3/4" at the side rail behind the front wheel and about 2 1/4 under the hoop that goes round the front of the engine. I have already moved the lower shock mounting in about 20 mm but without much effect (other than making it a bit stiffer) I could run the adjuster nuts up the coil over but do not have spanners big enough (don't spax have nuts you can use C spanners on?) anyone else had this problem or is the hoop in mine extra low?

Paul

I have 6 inches from the side body panel to the floor, 3 inches under the hoop and about 2 1/2 below the sump (non-shortened).

I've fixed the shocks as far back as they'll go on the lower wishbone, to give the maximum possible ride height, but I've not wound the adjuster nut up yet.

It seems to be ok on the flat, but it'll never get over a speed hump without grounding on the sump :huh:

I've got about 3.5 to 4 inches below that hoop and mine clears the speed bumps on our estate without trouble. The back is a little high at the moment but I may lower that.

The nut on the shocks does two things. First and foremost is change the ride height. As a consequence of moving the damper base within the spring it also moves the points where the damper travel stops - ie the bottoming out point.

To move the nuts I made two 60mm spanners by cutting up a piece 3mm mild plate.

Ant

PS - I'm talking RHE zemerides here.