Mot

Guest neil harvey

Guest neil harvey

I was advised my car had not passed the MOT as it had failed the Emission test.

However the nice MOT man had tweaked the Carb a little to get it through. Although the car ran like a pig I got the MOT cert ! :angry:

I have read in one of the Club mags (issue 22 1997) that 'kit cars are to be treated as cars registered prior to 1976'

NO emission test other than visual examination of exhaust gasses is needed.

Can anyone confirm this is still true and where documented. So I can inform my local MOT man.

Neil

Guest Russler

bugger why does everyone try to get an age related plate then, when I was registering my car the nice lady asked me which I wanted, I didn't have a v5 as I bought the car from a scrappy, I said i wasn't really bothered. She said most people want age related so went along with it. :rolleyes:

must be the wink ;)

:D i quite like a Q reg(you cant tell wot year it is) but most go for a age plate for one reason,a Q reg is a vehicle of unknown age and origin,a age plate is mainly parts from the donor vehicle of a set age with history,and the fact you can fit a personal plate,something you cant do with a Q reg

:) with a personal plate its still the same age as the original reg hence why it had a emitions test but they should have asked for proof of age to do the correct emitions test

but it definatly needed one at the mot

From my understanding of the rules confirmed by my local MOT man. The test at SVA is age related to the engine manufacture date, However for the MOT only a smoke test is required for a kit car built from a donor vehicle. This is how the chaps with newish engines fitted can remove the cat after SVA and still pass an MOT. The only exception is a kit car made from all new parts with a new registration and this is treated as a normal production car. Its normally the case that mr MOT man cannot be bothered to read the big book of rules relating to kit cars as they dont often see them :unsure: .

Colin

OK. What about if my car is registerd as 78, built in 94 with 78 Cortina lump and then had engine change in a later life to an engine of unknown origin, but from a car that started manufacture in about 83 and finished in 85.

As it happens the "basic" emissions test was done at my local station for cars built in 1983.

No SVA on mine.

I assume it still goes on engine date (if this can be determined). What if it can't?

my 205 runs on twin 45's its a G reg and pums out enough emmissions to kill off the ozone for good but sails through the mot every time but i have nice mot guy, always hand to be frendly with your local garage!

Guest alan rowe

Lee

my car was built in '95 (pre SVA) and used an '84 donor and the original "A" plate from the Sierra - 2 years later it had another engine fitted - '90 vintage but as far as my MOT is concerned its a 1984 car

hope this helps

Alan