2b/04 Front Springs

Guest WHEELNUT

Guest WHEELNUT

I got all my front suspension put together but I don't like the look of it! The bit that concerns me is that the big nuts that act as the lower seat for the coil spring are nearly at the top of the threads before they put any pressure on the spring i.e. if they aren't in that position the spring can rattle about( it currently is not sat on it's wheels but this shouldn't make any difference) it also is very loose as regards the top seat/double washer. Does this sound familiar?

Cheers, Wheelnut.

p.s. if any hoodies in the northwest would be willing to let me take a peak at their cars, complete or otherwise, I would really appreciate the help this would provide!

Hi

No problem with mine - the front end is now fully loaded, and the lock nuts are half way up the thread. This gives a nice horizontal steering rack, and still leaves an inch or two of adjustment.

DOn't want to teach you to suck eggs but have you got the components at the top in the right order?

The other thing to check is that as far as I recall the threaded sleeve could slide up and down the shaft, locking in place once the bolt on the top of the hub was tightened. You might be able to dismantle, slide the threaded sleeve up a bit and hey presto. I am sure you could do this, although I'm not going to take mine apart to check!!!

Guest TerryBarry

Enforcer's looks just like one I saw recently.

One point ( not sure how relevent) is that the nuts securing the antiroll bar to the lower arms should only be tightened up with the suspension loaded - the car standing on the ground - and the suspension "bounced" to settle it.

Have you got your engine in yet ??

Here's the picture of another one

post-7-1111571452.jpg

I recognise that picture. Its of my car!

I didn't have a problem with the spring position. I put the font suspension together with the nuts in the middle of the threaded bit and since then I have moved the nuts up a couple of turns to set the ride height.

Guest WHEELNUT

I've just been down to my garage to take a look again after seeing the pictures above. I will look again at the video tomorrow night but I am fairly sure that I've got it right as per tricky's video. The damper /insert touches the lock nut on the TCA.The sleeve shoulder sits on top of the cycle wing bracket and is tight down into the wheel bearing housing with the pinch bolt tightened. I can see that when the weight is on the springand the nuts were further down the thread it would look OK but what if the suspension has to extend fullythe spring would then float freey about surely. :wacko: :wacko:

I had a close look today. The nuts are in a good position on the nearside (pictured above) but on the offside the nuts are a couple of threads from the top. I have adjusted the ride height though.

Have you got any weigth in the car yet? (i.e. the engine) Could the damper be taking some of the weight if you haven't?

I don;t know why mine are uneven between the two sides but I am not suprised.

Guest WHEELNUT

That's interesting Elwe, and in answer to your question ,no there is no weight in the car athe moment and it is not sat on the ground yet either. However this should make little or no difference anyway. one concern is that the shocker piston is actually too long for the spring or the spring is too short. the reason this concerns me is that when there is weight applied it may well be ok and adjustable to a suitable ride height, but what about when virtually airborne and the suspension extends to its maximum. the maximum length it can travel is the fully extended length of the shocker if the spring is not applying anyweight at all on the top plate it could come off its seat! :o

I think you will have to be airbourne for a long time for that to happen.

The sock absorber should resist and force changing its position whether shortening or lengthening. Thus when you take off the sock absorber should slowly lengthen. Hopefully you will have landed before the spring comes off its seat!