Errr Not The Best Of Starts

Guest GTO

i have been checking the contents of my fixings bag and things seem a little odd

i seem to have a few bolts missing but thats not realy a great problem

it says there should be 300 self tappers and i have around 300 screws but they dont have points

are they the ones? i always think of self tappers as pointed or is it just me being thick!

anyone have a photo of the fixings?

can anyone sugest a good place i can get these online if the ones i have are incorect?

i was hopeing to have the floor in this week after the paints dryed on the chasis

Thanks Richie (GTO)

Guest Battery Bill

Hi GTO

I think you will find your fixings bag full of stuff you don't seem to need and missing bits you do need.

I was given a load of black little ones and a load of gold coloured bigger ones! Which to use? No idea if it looks like a big one is needed use that I suppose. Don't expect any help looking at the vids either his fixings kit is obviously different again.

www.tifosi-devon.co.uk

is a good source for new bits, I ordered some p-clips and they arrived the next day.

good luck

Guest nickinguk

hi gto

the self tappers are usually screwed into a hole drilled with a 1/8th drill bit and make sure you have plenty of 1/8th drill bits especially if you are drilling into stainless as they tend to go blunt quite quickly :angry:

Guest johnboymac

lucky you - at least yours look like self tappers, I collected in feb and recd 300 m5 bolts about 15mm but with no bolts to fit them!

Still I bought nuts to fit them from screwfix for about a pound, and have now used the bolts to attach my wings - so even if they are no good now, you can probably use them later on.

Still, nuts and bolts are the least of your problems......

cheers, John

I'm approaching the end of my build, and my bag of fixings is still pretty much as it was when I collected the kit. You'll probably find you need to suppliment alot of it.

Screwfix is great for HT bolts, nylocs, rivets, drill bits, and all that stuff. I concur with the comment about needing plenty of 1/8th (3mm) drill bits - I've gone through nearly 200! Seriously :blink:

Guest graham dockerill
:p Only 200 Joel ,your being carefull. You have just reminded me to order another 50, but at under £2 for ten at Screwfix, they are about the same price of one at B & , and I brake them before they go blunt . Graham

200 3m drills seems rather excessive to me folks! I have all stainless and I've used about 8 or 10. Most of those were broken in fits of rage when drilling at strange angles or trying to spin them free when trapped.

Buy HSS cobalt drills. Go slowly. You'll only get through 200 of them if you're a complete maniac!

Ant

:p Well I only reach maniac status from time to time, but fair comment. I spent a fortune on a set of cobalt drills and they'd all snapped after about a week, so now I just buy cheap rubbish and I don't have to care when they break.

Maybe I have a super high-torque drill or something, but the bits just seem to shear if you hit the slightest bit of resistance :huh:

Guest Andy Hamilton

I am able to acquire Dormer Jobber drill bits. They are fantastic. They just don't seem to go blunt. The only time I break them is when I know I am putting a sideways force on the drill. With the 2B this can't be helped sometimes.

I even used the 10mm to drill out the pinch bolt in the front hub, and it is still sharp!! thats 50mm of HT steel.

try 'em out, they're excellent

Guest daveg

All

I have used the same drill bit for about 100 holes! and its a Dormer HSS not even Cobalt!

The art is to drill very very very slowly and use oil, you want to cut not try and melt you're way though :p

Quite a lot of force is also required....anyway we have gone off thread :lol: the fastener bag is another joke along with the video

Dave

Guest mickmellors

Sling the bag of fasteners under your bench and buy stainless everything from a friendly local supplier

I got the whole lot for about £80 2 years ago and have just 'aquired' some (3000) stainless 3x10mm pop rivets for the price of a couple of pints

Get yourself a cheap and cheerful low spec 9volt cordless drill from B & Q that has a slow speed

Mine was about £12 plus £9 for a spare battery and slow speed is about 300 rpm and it cuts lovely with a sharp bit.

Use a drop of light oil (3 in 1) to lubricate as already stated

Centre pop every hole position (especially on round tube) so that you can apply reasonable pressure even before the drill starts to turn and keep a firm pressure on all the time so that every turn of the drill cuts metal - if it stops cutting it hardens the surface and it is hard to get going again.

I wish you luck

Mick M